New lister and brand new owner of a very fine original 1953 XK120 coupe. First day the fuel pump quit. (seller will replace, but) First, I can't find the fuel pump. Just EXACTLY where is it? Secondly, If I locate it and remove it, does the thing have "points" in it that can be cleaned? Seems like in the far recesses of my mind I remember something like that. The car is for bragging and fun, not concours. so Can I put an electronic fuel pump in it? Any sage advice will be appreciated.

2002 XK8, 1953 XK120

Submitted by jbansley@sbcgl… on Wed, 02/22/2006 - 15:46

Hi John, Otto and Dick. Much appreciated input. I see that this list is right on. As I get more familiar with the old girl, I'll likely be asking more dumb questions. Thanks.

Jim
2002 XK8,
1953 XK120

Submitted by SW03-09811 on Wed, 02/22/2006 - 00:15

Jim,
If you haven't yet removed your pump, you'll discover that, if the supply line from the tank is full of fuel, when it's disconected from the pump, it will form a siphon that will drain the tank if the line is not plugged. When you do disconnect it, be ready with both a catch pan and a tapered plug to avoid a last minute scramble and a large amount of fuel down your sleeve and on the floor.

The post by Otto gives you a good idea what the set up generally looks like. A caution, however, is that addition of the filter and its hose connectors (without some sort of protective shield) can present a substantial fire hazard if the car runs over an obstruction that strikes and causes any one of those hoses to disconnect.

Good luck,
Dick Cavicke

Submitted by NE08-63766 on Tue, 02/21/2006 - 19:29

Jim,
On the right side, under the door, look at the frame & you should see what looks like this. The bracket behind is for the 150S 2nd fuel pump. Yours has only one bracket.
Regards, Otto M. -58 XK-150fhc, S-834292DN

Submitted by mcfoo@columbus… on Tue, 02/21/2006 - 14:00

Fuel pump is just behind the main frame crossmember on the right side. You can replace it with anything you like, as long as it is positive ground.