Hello forums, I'm a new member and came across a potential barn find XK120 and would like to learn more about it. I have the potential to buy it but would like to educate myself on these cars before I go and look at it again. The car is currently painted black, but I think it might have been white originally. It was missing it's hood and does has some rust along the lower edges of the body. I'm not sure the specific year, but I have placed it in the XK120 range (49-54). How do I identify it to get an exact year? My first impression is the car is pretty rough, and I'm not sure if it is restoreable until I go see it again and understand how bad the rust is.

Submitted by howardbollinge… on Sun, 08/18/2013 - 20:03

To Bill Brady, Haven't gone to the books to be absolutely certain of date, but sidelights on front wings were chromed pot metal castings held on with screws, I think through 1951 or so. Then were changed to welded on stamped sheet metal housings, lead loaded then painted as integral to the body.

Submitted by chadzeilenga@g… on Sun, 08/18/2013 - 17:20

Hello,
Thanks for the detailed info. I will probably check out the car next weekend and will check for the serial number and a matching block. I came across the car as the owner was moving it since it had been vandalized and someone had taken the hood and valve covers. I have done some more research on them and it looks pretty complete from what I saw the first time.. It's been sitting in the back of a vacant building for a while and there is some rust on the body below the vents before the doors. I didn't look underneath it though.

Submitted by howardbollinge… on Sun, 08/18/2013 - 16:22

Chad,
I've had 3 XK120's over the last 50 years, one, #S674495, was national champion JCNA- 2000-2001. All 3 were 1954 cars. Looks like this is a later model since it has the welded on light housings on top of front fenders. Is there a data plate attached to the firewall in the engine compartment on the passenger side of the car? Hopefully there is and you can get all the number data off it. That obviously is the easiest way to find out what year it is. If that's missing then you go to engine number etc., hoping it's the original engine. Does current owner have a title and or any history?

The body does appear rather straight, at least on this one side shot. The most important areas to check for rust is the middle portion of the car. It is the most complex as far as replacing rusted out areas. From the firewall back through sills to the door shut areas at rear of doors and into battery boxes behind seats.

Without giving real detailed info here, where are you and where is car? You might be able to get someone to inspect the car for you after you check them out, if it is far afield from your locale.

Howard B.