I'm sure you guys have discussed this all before, but I have an XK-150S (yes, it is an "S", my father bought the car new in 1957 and it's box stock original) roadster and I need to put new tires on it. The tires on there now are Dunlop Roadspeeds which were put on in 1959 (the tubes are new, what a sport)so I guess it is time! I plan to drive the car to events a few times a year. I understand that the car drives vastly better with radials but, of course, they don't have quite the same look as the original bias plys. I have kept the car absolutely original in all other ways, for example, the upholstery is original and in good shape. Do you guys have comments as to which way to go and what is a good place to get the tires? I don't mind spending a few dollars to get the right solution. And, are there other links that discuss XK matters? Thanks,

Bill Lightfoot

Submitted by dthompson@gbc.ca on Thu, 02/09/2006 - 08:39

There is, of course, a BIG difference in the sizes you noted above. I have seen this argument go around and around for years. Everybody has an opinion ranging from "they are perfect" to "putting tires that large on skinny rims is downright dangerous". To answer your question, there is no "correct" radial size because technically these cars and rims were never designed to run modern radials.

After reviewing all of the discussion I personally have come to the conclusion that the Vredestein radials offer the best combination in terms of safety, performance and longevity.

Daniel Thompson
XK Club representative
Jaguar Enthusiasts Club
Jaguar Owners Association - Montreal

Submitted by w.lightfoot@cox.net on Wed, 02/08/2006 - 19:08

Well, I'm ready to buy the radial tires for my XK-150 but now I have the question of what size to buy. Everyone agrees that the original bias belted tires were 6:00x16 but there is disagreement as to the right radial size to get. A couple of knowledgeable guys run 185X16s. A couple of other guys run 215/70/16. Is there a "correct" size radial? Do the fatter tires look right? Is there much diference in the two sizes noted? It SEEMS like a big difference in size, is it? Again, thanks in advance for your comments.

Bill Lightfoot
XK-150S, Serial S.830721-DN, Motor VS-1150-9

Submitted by fgauer@pacbell.net on Tue, 02/07/2006 - 18:51

You might also consider the Firestone Cavallino 185R16. I mounted a set on new Dayton 60 spoke wheels over a year ago, and have had no problems of any sort with them. Mine came from British Wire Wheel in California, but I'm sure others have them as well.

Frank Gauer
Tustin, CA USA
1958 XK150 FHC
1987 XJ-SC

Submitted by NE08-63766 on Tue, 02/07/2006 - 18:31

They changed to 60 spoke wheels in June '58. If this is not correct we need to contact the rules committee.

Pat H.,
My 150 is pretty early, later part of July -57, I still have the original 60 spoke wires & had 2 of them rebuilt by Dayton. They included the band around the spoke nipples because I have to use tubes in order to use 215/70R16 radials. They are the original Dunlop installed from the factory. This June of -58 thing is going to surprise a few people.

Regards, Otto M. -58 XK-150fhc, S-834292DN

Submitted by w.lightfoot@cox.net on Tue, 02/07/2006 - 18:29

Pat,John,Danial,Ron and Jim,

You guys have been very helpful,thanks. Based partly on what you guys have said, I think that I will go ahead and go with the radials. Pat Harmon makes a good point, which I hadn't thought of, that being that if I show the car in a "driven" class they don't deduct points anyway. The only times that I have ever shown the car was in the driven class so that's fine with me.
Now that I've decided on radials, the only quesion is which ones; Dunlops, Michelins, Vredestines or Uniroyal? Hmmmmm,decisions, decisions.
Thanks again.

Bill L.

Submitted by judgejamescoll… on Tue, 02/07/2006 - 17:47

Dear Bill, Amherst, MA

I recently purchased a set of Vredesteins for my 1953 disc wheeled XK 120 OTS and have been very happy with the results.

I am presently restoring a July, 1958 XK 150S OTS, which I have owned for some thirty years. I expect to continue using the Vredestein tire. All the best, Jim Collins

Submitted by RARKLR@aol.com on Tue, 02/07/2006 - 14:34

When I restored my XK 120 I went with Michelan Vintage 600/R/16 from Coker. They have the vintage Pilote X tread and look good but are blackwall only. They are also about $100 more than I paid for them a couple of years ago, perhaps due to the exchange rate. 1953 XK 120 OTS

Submitted by bonnettoboot@e… on Tue, 02/07/2006 - 14:01

We have just fitted a set of Uniroyal 215 70 16 to a 150S, they are perfect and inexpensive. remember to get the wheels tuned and fit new tubes. Bill Jaguar affectionado and etc.

Submitted by pharmon@jcna.com on Tue, 02/07/2006 - 11:10

Hi John: The Rule Book, Appendix B, Page 2 shows the earlier XK150's having 54 spokes. They changed to 60 spoke wheels in June '58. If this is not correct we need to contact the rules committee.

Submitted by dthompson@gbc.ca on Tue, 02/07/2006 - 10:56

You now know what is correct for concours. If you plan on driving the car then radials are a big improvement.

An alternative to the Dunlop Grand Trek radials are Vredesteins. They make a "classic" radial tire that is perfect for XK Jaguars. They even sponsor an XK race series in England. The tires are very reasonably priced too.

A webs search for Vredestein distributors in your area should produce some results.

Other interest chat groups focused on XK's are found at:

www.jag-lovers.org

http://www.xkclub.com/forum/

Daniel Thompson

XK Club representative
Jaguar Enthusiasts Club
Jaguar Owners Association - Montreal

Submitted by pharmon@jcna.com on Tue, 02/07/2006 - 10:16

If you plan to enter your car in Concours Championship Division competition then you will receive a non-authentic deduction for any tires other than bias-ply 6.00 x 16's (54 spoke wheels). I have a '59 XK150 which I enjoy driving so I run on Dunlop GranTrek radials. The car handles remarkably better on radial tires. As a side note, if you enter the car in the Driven Division there is no deduction for radial tires. I purchased my tires from Diamondback Classics (usual disclaimer) as they have a process to vulcanize wide whitewalls on the tires.