Greetings all -

i have a small but odd problem mounting the arm rests to the door on my 150 roadster. Seems like such a basic mounting scheme but I cannot tighten them down.

My arm rests have long cylindrical hex screw heads which fit neatly in the two round channels in the plastic base and screw into two cylindrical type bolts protruding from the door panel. These cylindrical bolts fir neatly into the arm rests and all seems to be correct.

The trouble is - there is no lip or washer type thing that the bolt head secures and tightens down. Very confusing. I thought perhaps there was a plastic lip inside the arm rest bolt channels that perhaps wore away over 50 years so I ordered used replacements. They are identical and therefore also cannot be tightened down. What am I doing wrong? Very strange problem! Any insight is hugely appreciated - thank you!
Greg Arnold NYC
66 E type / 58 150S / 61 MKIX

Submitted by greg@nofatmusic.com on Mon, 12/10/2012 - 23:35

Edited on 2012-12-10 23:36:55

thank you George! Yes - it appeared on the original ones with my car that there was some feint remanent of a lip inside the barrels but when the replacements didn't have the lip either I figured it may have been some casting seam - and I must be missing some odd British barrel washer! Obviously these arm rests get stripped out after years of pulling doors closed. Short of replacement, wondering if anyone has a simple clever fix? Kind of an odd problem but definitely a bother if both arm rests are not secure. Thank you for taking thetime to examine your arm rests for me - anyone have intact arm rest bodies to sell? :-)
Yours
Greg