Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 12/30/2005 - 15:00

I am looking at a 140 DHC which has 2 sagging doors, generally dropping about 3/4" when opened. And when open they can be moved rather easily up and down. What could be the problem, rust, rot, or something else in the "A" post? How big a problem is this to correct? Thanks, guys. Russ

Submitted by jreminga@devel… on Fri, 12/30/2005 - 22:27

Russ,

I am restoring an XK-140 OTS and found that the hinges were worn and the bottom cross-member of the channel structure that holds the hinges was rusted away. Together they caused much slop in the doors. I also found some small craking in the aluminum door near the hinge mounting points.

The hinges are relatively hard to remove but are repairable. Some use oversized bolts and drill new holes, some weld proper sized washers to repair elongated holes, some install bushings, etc.

The c-channels are also repairable by cutting out the rusted areas and welding in repair sections. If yours are rusted the sills are probably rusted too. If you look under the car from the hinge area forward you should be able to see if the area is rusted. Be careful if it appears that someone has covered that area.

There is a picture of a damaged hinge at www.celebration-village.com/cars. Go to the XK-140 section and then to the restoration photos. I also just posted some photos of the c-channel repair sections on www.jag-lovers.org, but they haven't shown up yet. I bought my repair pieces from Bill Bassett at Bassett's Jaguar.

Jim Reminga
1957 XK-140 OTS SE