I looked at a 1982, XJ6, 6cyl. two days ago and woundering if Ishould buy it. The guy is asking 3500$ with another car for parts. It looks great, hasn't been out for 10 years almost no rust ! What should I brace for, Is their books of that car available on the market ? so far my results from research for mech. specs isn't there ! can someone help me ???

Submitted by dougdwyer@adel… on Wed, 09/21/2005 - 19:41

Run, don't walk, away.

That amount of money will buy a passably decent RUNNING Ser III XJ6.

As mentioned above, long term storage is awful on these cars. Add to this the fact that it probably had a host of typical "issues" when the owner decided to park it.

Spend a a couple weeking browsing EBAY and other on-line trading posts and you'll develop a good idea of what's available for the money.

If your heart is set on a Ser III XJ6 (good choice, really) then you'll find some decent examples are out there for $2500-$3500. Some better-than-average specimens might be $4000- $5000. Extra nice might be $6000+.

Unless you are looking for a serious and expensive challenge don't buy a non-running project car.

Doug Dwyer
Longview Washington USA
1987 XJ6 Ser III
1988 XJS V12 Coupe

Submitted by johnhasen@aol.com on Wed, 09/21/2005 - 17:24

Hi Stephane,
A car that has been sitting for 10 years can have all kinds of problems due to general deterioration. All hoses, belts, fluids, brake system, etc. should be completely checked out. Just letting a car sit for an extended period of time with out periodic use is one of the worst things you could do to a car.
Jack Hasen

Jack Hasen
89 XJ-S Convertible