Hi AGMers and Western Staters,

I was hoping to post updates to the forums on a regular basis, but prepping for the dual event has taken what little spare time I've had. Wow, what a job. Thanks to Dennis Eynon and Phil Parker, the rest of the organizing committee, for the amount of work they're putting in with me.

Here's the plan for a Best Overall Award. We're going to combine concours, rally, and slalom totals to create a total which will qualify entrants for the award. If you aren't planing to participate in all three events, you can stop reading now. However, if you were considering it, or think this might just maybe entice you to consider entering all three events, here are the details.

Calculating Overall Best Jaguar across all Disciplines at the 2012 Western States.

Concours dÔÇÖElegance Champion Division

For Champion Division weÔÇÖll use the raw Concours score.

Concours dÔÇÖElegance Driven Division

Driven Division receives a 5 pt. handicap because the engine and boot are not judged and other authenticity exceptions are permitted. Multiply the Driven Division Score by 10 and subtract 5 from the total. In other words a perfect Driven Division Car would receive 95 points for their concours score.

Concours dÔÇÖElegance Special Division

Special Division receives a 5 pt. handicap because authenticity exceptions are permitted. A perfect Special Division Car would receive 95 points for their concours score.

Rally

Rally cars receive a 7 point bonus for 1st overall, 6 points for 2nd overall, 5 points for 3rd overall, etc. down to 1 point for 7th overall. All remaining finishers receive no points.

Slalom

WeÔÇÖve calculated the average of all entries for a given class for the previous year. If any times are more than 10 sec. greater than the average, weÔÇÖve adjusting that time to be exactly 10 sec. greater than the average for calculation purposes. (In 2011, one score was 39+ seconds above the average and really skewed the scores for that class.) Entrants will receive a bonus equal to the time below the average for their class or a penalty for the time above the average.

Determining Best Overall

To determine the best overall car in the event, weÔÇÖll begin with the adjusted concours score and add the rally points. We'll then add the slalom bonus to or deduct the slalom penalty from that total to determine Best Overall.

For example, if a Driven Division entry scored a 9.973, their adjusted concours score would be 94.73. If they finished fifth in the Rally, they'd receive a three point bonus, bringing their total to 97.73. If their fastest time in the slalom is 2.318 seconds faster than the average, that would be added to the 97.73 points for a total of 100.048. The entry with the highest score wins.

The goal is to encourage everyone to participate in all three events and we believe the point spreads for each event gives everyone a chance to compete for Best Overall. A person with a ÔÇ£driverÔÇØ who knows how to drive, can make up the points lost in concours in the rally and slalom. An entrant who babies his perfect Jaguar will lose his advantage in the driving events.

Note: The entrant does not have to rally or slalom on their concours tires. Any class-appropriate tires may be used.

If you didn't sign up for the tour or the slalom and now want to participate in either, drop me an e-mail at agmws12atjcca.us. If you would like to switch from the tour to the rally, again, drop me an e-mail. This isn't as critical, but I'd like to at least have enough Rally route sheets available.

Submitted by mikesilverman@… on Wed, 02/22/2012 - 17:25

Mark:
I would love to try to take this overall award; if I'm helping with a checkpoint on the rally segment, I assume that means I'm not going to be able to count any (potential) rally points, as I won't actually be participating in the rally, instead facilitating.
Mike Silverman
'68 E-Type OTS