AS you have seen from my previous posts I have worried about a couple of things since I bought the 1989 convertible three or four weeks ago but now I am down right scared.
We have put a few hundred miles on the car and she is purring like the cat she is but we decided,after the last thread, to check out the coolant system and, guess what, have found oil in the coolant. We do not know where it is coming from and, looking at our main concern, the oil in the engine does not seem to be dropping at all.
Anyway, there are a lot of reasons the oil could be there, some worse than others. Please let me know about your own experiences what you think and give an approx cost for putting it right.
We are scrubbing the system before we refill it and will use it for a couple of runs, hopefully she tell us where the oil is coming from and all will be perfect.
Talk to you soon.
Thanks,
Don

Submitted by woebegone@mind… on Thu, 07/26/2012 - 16:42

Or, just mount a secondary transmission cooler and plug off the one in the radiator.
Usually OEM radiator mounted trans coolers are "minimum code", and don't lend themselves to transmission longevity.

Unless you just drive to Church and the grocery store.

Submitted by donclayton@cha… on Thu, 07/26/2012 - 16:04

Thanks guys,
There is definitely a reddish tinge to the fluid so I am pretty sure there is a problem with the transmission cooler. we are going to try bypassing the radiator just to prove it and then look at a new radiator.
I have never made use of a forum before and want to thank you guys for your knowledge and help.
Sometime in the future I will let you know how the story finishes.
regards,
Don