I have recently purchased an xk-140 dhc of which I have actually yet to take possession- I'm hopeing for next week... Nonetheless, I am exploring the possibility of converting it from steel wheels with spats to wire wheels. My mechanic pointed out, however, that wire-wheel cars have a body-color-painted beading around the rear wheel wells, without which, he feels the wire wheels wouldn't look right. My reading suggests these were originally made of brass (and then painted). However, I called British Wire Wheel and they knew nothing about this, which I find strange as they actually sell conversion kits (splined hubs, knockoffs, and etc.). Ditto British Motorsports. Though these "beadings," as I have termed them, are inconspicuous, they are nonetheless quite apparent once pointed out. Does anyone have any knowledge of and recommendations for this situation? Are they reproduced? Do they serve a function? (Again, I read that cars with spats had rubber placed in the wheel well channels instead the brass strips.)

Secondly, I am wondering whether it makes sense to add disc brakes at the same time should the wire wheel conversion prove feasible, or whether this could be done at any later time as economically. Any help anyone could offer would be most appreciated.