Hi,

I have a 1996 xj6 that started giving me trouble on start up. It would not turn over one day and then turn over and start the next. When it did start I could drive the car for hours and it ran fine but it was a gamble if it would start a minute later or the next day. It proceeded to become more frequent and now it pretty much just sputters once in a great while on start-up and then dies as if the fuel is not getting to the engine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what to check and/or if there is an easy way to tell if the fuel pump died?

Thanks for your help.

Submitted by galushar@aol.com on Sun, 07/13/2008 - 18:10

Hi Edward,

I seem to be having a similar problem with my '94 XJ6. First time was several weeks ago. After gassing up at mid point of 400 mi. trip, didn't start at first, waited a few min. and it started after cranking for a while. (it usually starts on the first or second breif crank) We made it home thankfully! Now it is a gamble if it will start or not, and if it does start how far will it go before it quits.

I read in another posting that there is a known problem with the fuel pump clamps.

Have you learned any thing?

Robert