Edited on 2008-06-12 12:52:04

hello, i have an opportunity to purchase a 1989 xj6 vandenplas. the car is in nice shape with 80k miles. bbuuttt it is not running. the owner states that the head gasket blew and and was in the process of getting her fixed and has given up. i was wondering of the pitfalls i might be getting
into and what i should look for as far as potential problems with this car. i wouldnt even know what to offer as not being able to here it run or drive it. he states in the ad that the head is off and ready to be replaced. if i do purchase it and it turns into a good deal for me will this car make for a sound investment for an entry level jag?

thanks,
jim

Submitted by kelleyce50@yahoo.com on Thu, 06/12/2008 - 13:00

Jim, the price you pay for one of these on ebay versus a private sale versus dealer varies greatly. The ebay sellers give pretty accurate descriptions of the vehicle and price it accordingly. I just purchased a 1991 that was actually better than described but it may have been a "fluke". If you are not a mechanic you might want to pass on this one unless it is VERY cheap. Book on these in running condition with minor flaws is only around $5K even though some do go for more. So take all this into consideration.