In the "printing" of the "2006 Chapter VI -changes approved at the 2005 AGM -to take effect in 2006" re deductions for non-authenticity pertaining to pin-beading and Rear window (#G. EXTERIOR -Items 48-"Top,OTS/FHC Pin Beading or molding" & Item-49."Top,OTS/FHC Rear window")without mention for deduction for the DHC -yet note "n" describes "pin beading" only as it pertains to convertibles (OTS/MX/DHC and which the FHC is NOT). (I must therefore conclude that this is a printing mistake -& DHC should be substituted FHC -RIGHT??) Also,(as a Concours Judge) -how do I determine the deduction for the use of a neatly placed screw for securing an otherwise "near-perfect-appearing" (ie w/o signifant blemish otherwise) section of pinbeading on a DHC or OTS -or slight wear to the chrome on a strip of pin beading or rear window frame. Do the deductions given pertain to the MAXIMUM deductions for the WHOLE section or window frame?? (It seems to me that a deduction of 4.0 points for the use of a couple of screws to secure a piece of pin beading is pretty harsh!!)

Jerry Ellison
Fayetteville, NC
XK140 OTS

Submitted by SW03-09811 on Thu, 12/22/2005 - 13:50

Jerry,
Thank you for your observation. You have found a typo in that both items, #48 and #49, under the new Chapter VI, G. Exterior, should read: "Top, OTS/DHC ...".

There may be other errors and I appreciate their being called to JCRC attention.

Authentic pin beading is difficult and time-consuming to accurately re-produce and to correctly install. If the beading is held in place with screws, it is no longer "pin" beading and is non-authentic.

Using that rationale, as currently listed, EACH SECTION of beading held in place by (any number of) screws should receive the MANDATORY 4.0 point deduction. The non-authenticity deductions listed for all items are MANDATORY, see Chapter VI, A.1..

"Near-perfect-appearing" is commendable but it, and other "near-authentic" items, (short cuts?) MUST NOT be given the same credit as "authentic".

When you speak of judging WORN chrome, you are dealing with "condition" vice "authenticity" and must make a separate judgement.

Thanks for taking the time to do your Judge homework.

Christmas and Holiday greetings,

Dick Cavicke
Chair, JCNA, Judge's Concours Rules Committee