Edited on 2012-09-12 21:38:35

I bought this car from the original owner several years ago with 58,000 miles and it still looks and drives like new. I plan to hold the car long-term and I service the car regularly.

The problem - the first owner used conventional oil as suggested by the Jaguar dealer in his area and went long intervals between oil changes. I
now have 91,000 miles on the car and have used only high quality full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil and good quality oil filters and changed the oil every 5,000 miles. The car has always used oil and at my last oil change in May I switched to Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 to try and slow oil consumption. It uses about 1 qt. per 1,000 miles. At a recent power steering hose repair my mechanic said he cleaned off a "drop" of oil from the lower right side of the motor.

Considerations - Looking at a service with BG Products 109 for "compression performance restoration." My thought is that the prior owner using conventional oil with long interval changes may have added some contaminants around the rings and pistons that the synthetic oil I have used has not cleaned. I am also thinking about a "back to the future" move to Castrol 5W-30 GTX conventional oil and change it every 2k or 3k to avoid any leak issues and see if that slows oil consumption. The car starts and drives perfectly.

I am open to input.

Thanks,

Scott

Submitted by smose2400@sbcg… on Sat, 11/17/2012 - 09:54

Edited on 2012-11-17 9:57:03

UPDATE #3

I just passed the 1,000 mile mark. The last 500 miles included a 80 mile road rally in 100+ degree weather a few weeks ago with my local British Car Club through the foothills and mountains with a lot of downshifting into 2nd and 3rd gears. My best estimate is that oil use has decreased by about 20%. I would have used a minimum of 1 quart or more before the BP treatment and use is less. With no oil consumption in the first 500 miles I am pleased with the results.

Scott

Submitted by smose2400@sbcg… on Sat, 09/15/2012 - 15:54

Edited on 2012-09-15 15:57:47

UPDATE

After discussions with the BG Products Lab in Kansas I decided to use the 109 product prior to an oil change yesterday. I once again had the car refilled with Mobil 1 High Mileage full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil with a Jaguar oil filter. I will report back as to whether it slowed oil consumption.

Scott