Edited on 2009-05-31 0:43:26

I am considering the purchase of what looks like a near new 1990 XJ6 Soverign with 79,000 miles. Several years ago I owned a 1988 1/2 (1989) XJ40 and I remember the car being very nice and reliable. Any thoughts on this car as a daily driver?

Thanks,

Scott

Submitted by kelleyce50@yahoo.com on Tue, 06/02/2009 - 22:50

Scott: I am very comfortable in the XJ6 (development code XJ40, as in Series IV). It's the Porsches 924 and 944 that I have trouble getting into and out of. They were made for speed, not comfort or ease of entry and exit. I am trying to find out if our Louisiana law forbids a removable steering wheel on these to make it easier to enter and exit. You'll love the XJ6; the 1988 and the 1990 are essentially one in the same as far as body, engine, exterior and interior go. I am not sure what the little differences were between the two models except that Ford bought Jag in 1989 an supposedly made some suttle changes in the 1990 - 94 models. The big changes were in the electronics and power train.

Submitted by kelleyce50@yahoo.com on Mon, 06/01/2009 - 00:44

Scott: The only thing about the car is the little stuff that can go wrong (outside door handles, mass airflow sensor, fuel relay, etc.) and when something goes wrong it takes an act of congress to get it fixed unless you are a mechanic. But I have a 1991 that I have been able to find parts for at a very reasonable price. With only 79,000 miles you might be looking at some leak issues but those too are easy fixes. Overall, if the price is right and you trust the seller, by all means purchase the car. You'll probably get many months or years service with very little problems. I love my '91 and like I said, so far getting parts has not been a problem; of course I am a mechanic with this '91 and two Porsches (1977, 1979 924's) that I am restoring from the ground up. The only problem with these cars is that I am 6'2" and that makes a very cramped ride but a very enjoyable one. The XJ40 is much, much more comfortable.
Good luck and happy driving.