Kevin,

What do you mean "connect a second battery to the coil"? Did you just change out the battery and all is well? My 85 XJS has a similar problem. Starts, idles poorly, and dies when I touch the throttle.

Alan

Submitted by kevin@evepartn… on Thu, 02/23/2012 - 13:22

Edited on 2012-02-23 13:27:15

Basically if you open the ignition amplifier there is a solid white wire that is connected to an 8.6K OHM resistor which is then connected to the ignition module (where it terminates) on the other end of the white wire is connected to thicker shielded white wire that is run back to the ECU. Basically I had a very dodgy connection where the solid white wire meets the shielded white wire (shielded by wire and then grounded to the black wire lying next to the white inside the wrapped wire shield). I replaced about 2 inches of the bad solid white wire and then soldered it to the white wire and then .25 inches down soldered the shielding to the black ground wire. I have perfect continuity back to the ECU.

I should also mention that with the ignition in the on position and not running the injectors are supposed to fire once when the throttle is open. The throttle pot shows no change in current when you open (if you measure the voltage between the yellow and red wires). The voltage should gradually increase. In fact at closed throttle the voltage should read .32V and mine reads 2V. This is likely a separate problem but does a throttle POT affect idle? On a healthy car is the throttle POT is disconnected does this affect idle at all? Thanks so much for all of your help.

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Wed, 02/22/2012 - 16:32

Kevin there is a low and high volt module. Until you find the reason you can not go higher than 300 rpms that is of little interest. Have you checked your tuning data? Are your air filters clean? Is your aux air valve working? Is the gap in the throttle bodies correct? You are getting fire--you now need fuel and air. If the engine is in good shape and tuned correctly you should be able to rev it to the moon.

Submitted by kevin@evepartn… on Tue, 02/21/2012 - 17:09

Edited on 2012-02-21 17:19:41

Basically the car runs and idles at around 300rpm and then stalls after 1-2 minutes, I have replaced both regulators and fuel pump, ignition coil and ignition module and two resistors in the ignition amplifier, removed and cleaned all fuel injectors and replace all of the rubber fuel lines). Upon turning the ignition the attached fuel pressure gauge reads 38psi on the dot (factory spec) and while the engine is running the fuel pressure remains steady. I have attached noid lights to verify that the injectors are firing and laid an attached spark plug against the intake manifold to verify the spark. There is a lot of vacuum at the ECU. Rewired the distributor pickup module. The battery is new, however since the car engine gets above 300rpms the alternator does not get excited and the alt light stays. My next move is to take the alternator out of the equation by removing the lead from the alternator (Kirby long thinks that the alternator could be drawing current from the system) Also runs beautifully intermittently, "balancing a nickel on end smooth"