Edited on 2008-08-22 21:07:44

Edited on 2008-08-21 22:08:45

Can anyone direct me to interior specs for a 1985 Jaguar XJS HE? I am curious about driver headroom, legroom, etc. vs. a 1987 Jagaur XJ6 VDP.
Also, how much "trouble" is the 12 cylinder motor and what does "HE" stand for?

UPDATE: Is headroom same, less or more in a XJS convertible?

Thanks,

Scott W. Moseley

Submitted by dougdwyer1@com… on Fri, 08/22/2008 - 10:17

I'll second that. As an open road/highway car the XJS is just fantastic. I used mine primarily for weekend jaunts.....knocking off 600-700 miles in a weekend was a piece of cake.

Cheers
DD

Submitted by gr8jaguars@yahoo.com on Fri, 08/22/2008 - 10:12

Scott,
I had an '85 XJS HE V-12 and abolutely loved it. Road trips from WI to OR were a pleasure in that car. Especially the Dakotas and Montana for the high end and the Bitteroot Mtns. for cruising the corners.

I found it to be a very reliable car and in fact I now own a '96 convertible.

Here are a couple hints I used. Your tranny is a GM hydromatic that will pull stumps all day. Just remember this car weighs as much as a Suburban and is not fast off the line. It is not supposed to be, but once over 40mph, hang on to your shorts. BTW: an XJS will weigh another 2,000 at 124 mph than it does standing still. Make sure your tires are Z rated and in good condition. I ran duel fire spark plugs in all 12 cyl. A bit expensive, but they seemed to add to the performance and mileage.

Drive safe!

Submitted by dougdwyer1@com… on Thu, 08/21/2008 - 23:09

I don't know the specs offhand but there's decent room inside. Its getting inside which is a little tricky compared to your VDP, as the roofline a a few inches lower.

The Jag V12 and/or XJS can be very reliable if you get one that hasn't been overheated...and after you spend 6 months worth of weekends (and a chunk of money) catching up on all the repairs and services that the previous owners hadn't done in umpteen years. Once you're over that hump its usually smooth sailing....but the way most of these cars are treated its usually a pretty big hump :-). If you're a fairly competent DYI mechanic it can be very rewarding work. If you have to pay to have one sorted out....well....what's the limit on your Visa card?

"HE" stands for "High Efficiency" which denotes the "May" high compession cylinder heads, a change made in around '81 or so to improve fuel economy,

Cheers
DD