I currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and used to own a 120 DHC about 35+ years ago. But now - post retirement! - I'm seriously thinking about diving in again; so I've had my eye out for another 120 drop head. I have no plans to compete the car (concour or racing!); but I do want a very good conditioned car that - with care - will retain it's value.

Through Hemmings I found a candidate car, located in Mass. BUT it is something of a "retromod"  the car was evidently "restored" about 7 years ago, but the engine is configured (according to the owner) with a "C-type" head. But the three 2" SU carb's make me think it is probably a head from a 3.4L 150S. (I've uploaded a picture.)

I've joined this forum to find someone with a suitable background, to whom I can forward the photo's I've received from the owner and with whom I can discuss this prospective purchase. Someone here in the SF Bay Area would be great  though by no means essential. Indeed - if I decide to proceed - I'd like to meet-up with someone experienced and knowledgeable about 120's, who lives relatively close to Boston, who can join me if/when I personally visit the car. But that's getting more than a bit ahead of myself! If you have the background and interest in helping me out, please reply!

Thanks folks -

Submitted by mmvjsc@surfree.com on Fri, 01/24/2014 - 07:55

Michael, If you're trying to reach Steve Gordon at Vintage Auto Service in Oakland you'll have much better luck with the correct number, 510 534-5464. Steve will be a very good guy to know if you buy this, or a different, XK120 drophead.

Submitted by bob.mightyroar… on Thu, 01/23/2014 - 21:49

Well, not a 'C' head, its a straight port head and could be from just about anything 3.4L or 3.8L XK150S to S1 3.8 E-Type or even later with the proper modifications.

Bob Grossman