I'm new to this forum and desperately could use some advise...

I've seen a beautifully maintained auto as described above. But others warn me about a man named Lucas and driving in the rain.

Will I have to marry the daughter of a foreign car mechanic or are my erstwhile friends just jealous? The occasional inconvenience may well be worth the joy of owning one of these rolling works of art, but I'd like to know what I'm in for. And who better to tell me then you folks.

Thanks in advance.

Submitted by NE52-32043 on Mon, 04/05/2004 - 14:50

Steve,

First, owning a E-type is a treat. They really are great fun and they get a lot of attention everywhere you go. I've been having a blast with both of mine.

That said, you have to know what you are looking at or have someone very, very knowledgeable look at it for you (Warren made this point very well). Repairs on these cars are not cheap, especially if you are paying someone to do them for you. Most of what needs to be done you can do yourself, if you have a few tools, the manuals and a little time to do it.

Don't be overwhelmed by your heart on this. Use your head. You're buying a 40 year old car. Expect that some repairs will be needed. But you don't want to go head-long into it and find out you bought a real problem. If you're not qualified to inspect it, pay someone to do it. And get an estimate of needed work. Some of it (brakes, tires, structural rust problems) must be dealt with right away. Other things cosmetic can be dealt with as you go.

And don't be fooled by eBay prices. If you are not very familiar with what these cars really sell for (very often less than what you might see on eBay), get your expert's opinion on that as well.

Best of luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Regards,
Steve Weinstein, JTC-NJ
'72 E-type 2+2
'70 XKE FHC

Submitted by NE52-32043 on Mon, 04/05/2004 - 14:49

Steve,

First, owning a E-type is a treat. They really are great fun and they get a lot of attention everywhere you go. I've been having a blast with both of mine.

That said, you have to know what you are looking at or have someone very, very knowledgeable look at it for you (Warren made this point very well). Repairs on these cars are not cheap, especially if you are paying someone to do them for you. Most of what needs to be done you can do yourself, if you have a few tools, the manuals and a little time to do it.

Don't be overwhelmed by your heart on this. Use your head. You're buying a 40 year old car. Expect that some repairs will be needed. But you don't want to go head-long into it and find out you bought a real problem. If you're not qualified to inspect it, pay someone to do it. And get an estimate of needed work. Some of it (brakes, tires, structural rust problems) must be dealt with right away. Other things cosmetic can be dealt with as you go.

And don't be fooled by eBay prices. If you are not very familiar with what these cars really sell for (very often less than what you might see on eBay), get your expert's opinion on that as well.

Best of luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Regards,
Steve Weinstein, JTC-NJ
'72 E-type 2+2
'70 XKE FHC

Submitted by pkelly@state.pa.us on Mon, 04/05/2004 - 10:23

Steve,

I have a 69 Series II coupe, and I notice Warren has a 70. I have had mine 3 years and I put about $3,000 into repairs, but these were repairs to fix problems of previous neglect or wear, like a new radiator, and a leaky clutch and power brake booster. I have had no problems on reliability. What I've heard the most from owners is that once you have them sorted out, they tend to stay that way for many years. As a matter of fact, I consider my jag to be extreemly reliable and durable, unlike other antique cars I've had like Lincolns and Corvettes of the same time period. Maybe you should look into a series II, they have a simpler (2 instead of 3)carb set-up and (I believe)a better transmission.

So, don't put all your money into the purchase price, keep a few rubels aside for repairs.

Submitted by ddevore46@hotm… on Sun, 04/04/2004 - 13:52

Steve - you only go around once, so get the car checked out and go with your heart. I've got a '65 E Coupe that I bought 16 yrs. ago. I hit 40 and had lusted for one since the 60s, so I bit the bullet and took the plunge. I had previously owned an MGB-GT and a Triumph TR4 & TR6, so was used to Brit stuff (somewhat - although I must say that I am NOT a mechanic (wish I was), so have had to have work done). I must also say that had this all done on a school teacher's salary - so it was done little by little. Went through the car fixing: brakes, cooling, clutch, interior, paint, etc. to get it back to driveable/presentable condition. I would first, and formost, look for rust. You can always rebuild an engine, but if it has serious cancer back away. I drive mine weekly, and find that she's pretty reliable, once you've gone thru and fixed up what might have been poorly maintained, or worn out. Don't know what part of the country you live in, but the Es didn't have the greatest cooling system - so check that out especially - they now have aftermarket radiators and high effenciency elec. fans that will do the trick (but not cheap). Clutchs got eaten up early in Brit cars, as people would sit at lights with the clutch pedal "in" and it would prematurly wear. Put it in neutral at a light. If it has wires, run your fingers around them, listening for any that sound broken, or loose. Join your local Jaguar club and you'll meet a bunch of nice people, and obtain much vital info (parts, mechanics, drives, etc.). I now also have a '67 MGB, and I must say, in all honesty, that 'most any part for the Jag will cost 2-3 times what it would be for the MG (could it be just because it says "Jaguar" on it?) - so be prepared for sticker shock. But, on the positive side - there have been times when I've thought that it is crazy to have the car & that I should sell it, but then when I look at those sexy lines, and that long bonnet, all crazy notions like that go out of my head. I truly think myself a lucky person to be able to be the "caretaker" of her, as I didn't think I'de ever have one in my lifetime. I live in Denver, CO - where are you? Let me know if you get your car. Dennis Devore. e-mail: ddevore46athotmail.com

Submitted by warren.hansen@… on Sat, 04/03/2004 - 19:23

Steve,

You need to have a skeptical friend who knows something about cars take a look at this one with you. If it stands up to the first test, it is imperative that you pay a knowledgeable expert to conduct a full inspection of the car -- body, interior, mechanicals, and all systems -- giving you a written report of its true condition. Only then should you contemplate buying it. As beautiful as these cars are, only a sound one that you can use will reward you by being a joy to own. The alternative is too sad to contemplate. But once you find the right car you will join a very happy brotherhood indeed!

If you need recommendations for help in evaluating the car you are interested in, please let us know what part of the country you are in. You could also start by contacting the nearest JCNA club to see if a member might be willing to help you make the first cut.

I've had my car for four years now, and can say that I have absolutely no qualms about driving a 34 year old sports car. It has given me endless driving joy; I've put close to 30,000 miles on it with virtually no reliability issues.

Regards,
Warren Hansen
70 E-Type FHC
"Silver Bolide"

Submitted by jsolo61654@aol.com on Sat, 04/03/2004 - 19:06

Steve:
Unless you intend to do repairs and/or maintenance yourself, then owning an e-type is more expensive than a second wife. Anyway, doing the work yourself is "part of the process"... It's fun to drive, but there is *always* something to fix, adjust, clean or replace... but it's worth it...
There is *nothing* like the experience of driving an "e"...
Good Luck