I am going to check out tomorrow a 1977 XJ12 sedan with 57k from a original owner. car used only on weekends and garaged. In 1978, owner had dealer replace 12 cylinder fuel injection engine with a 350 corvette engine. Price is $6500. Because the corvette engine is going to be less costly and still extremely powerful. Is this as good a deal as it sounds? Owner has all receipts. Owner needs to sell to raise $$$. An appraisal from Allstate left documentation stating its worth 12K

Submitted by SC20-30420CJ on Sun, 03/07/2004 - 10:03

The Chevy V8 would kill the deal for me Steve. You can buy a fairly nice V12 ser2 for $6500. I would keep looking and get the real thing. I'm not opposed to modifying cars in general, but the V12 is so nice it's a shame when it gets replaced with a pushrod V8. I can't imagine a mainline Jaguar dealer doing such a thing. More likely, he had it done privately. Anyway, do this: Drive a V12 powered XJ12L before you decide. You owe it to yourself to at least know what you're missing. To borrow a line from Porsche - There is no substitute.

John Testrake
Jaguar Association of Greater St. Louis

Submitted by bonnettoboot@e… on Sat, 03/06/2004 - 23:57

well I think the car will still be a jag but it won't be an XJ12. I wish Jaques was correct in his evaluation. The XJ12 was one of the finest "modern era" cars ever built. Unfortunately the are extremely expensive to restore, an engine rebuild can cost upwards of $10000. Restored the cars are not selling for that price. Rather than buy this "modified" car I would suggest buying a good original XJ6.

Jaguar affectionado and etc.

Submitted by dougdwyer@eart… on Sat, 03/06/2004 - 21:57

The Chevy engine certainly diminshes the value of the car from a collectability standpoint but, IF it is in very nice shape AND the engine swap was nicely engineered and executed, it would still be a desirable car, in my opinion.

I wonder when the $12K appraisal was made. If recent, then the car must surely be something exceptional, making the $6500 asking price seem a bargain. If only in fair-to-good shape then $6500 is too much, I'd think.

Good luck
Doug Dwyer