Hi,

I'm having an issue with the turn signals on a 54 xk120, equipped with the trafficator switch on the horn assembly. The switch seems to work mechanically, travels equal distances from center, and returns to it's center position. However, only when moved to the left position will the signal flash (front and rear). When moved to the right, nothing occurs...no blinker noise, no lights. I've pulled the horn assembly and tinkered with the switch to no avail. I'm an electrical novice, but I'm assuming the same fuse and relay is used for left or right signals...so I'm guessing it is the switch itself in the horn assembly that needs repair or replacement? Any recommendations on what to check out before spending $$$ on a new switch?
Thanks!

Submitted by mpmccormack@ya… on Tue, 04/24/2012 - 16:10

George, thought you may be interested in the unusual conclusion -

Odd fix, but then again perhaps not considering Lucas' reputation. As I was testing the contact points on the right side relay, as soon as I placed the multimeter leads on the ground and #8 relay point (12v lead), the relay came to life, with the turn signal in the right position. I removed the multimeter, and without a single other step, the right side flasher is back to life. Just to be sure, all lamps and signals and horn are now working. Perhaps the coil had become "frozen"? I checked the ground connection and all looks good, so I suppose I'll just monitor for now.

Cheers

Submitted by mpmccormack@ya… on Tue, 04/24/2012 - 10:38

Thanks very much George - great explanation and appreciate your help walking through the issue. I've got an OTS, and couldn't find anything in the wiring diagram (W94641) , and just looked to the FHC diagram (W94602) you mentioned and can now see it. That would explain why the tail lamp and brake lamps work properly on the right side, but not when the directional switch is on.
I've pulled the relay switch cover and if I manually move the relay plunger for the right side down to make contact within the relay, the right hand side directionals flash as expected. So, I'm guessing the next step would be to test whether the directional switch on the steering column is sending current when moved to the right "on" position. If so, I"ll need to replace the relay. If not, the switch or wiring between the switch and relay is the likely culprit. Sound right?
Thanks again for your assistance George

Submitted by mpmccormack@ya… on Tue, 04/24/2012 - 10:09

Thanks very much George - great explanation and appreciate your help walking through the issue. I've got an OTS, and couldn't find anything in the wiring diagram (W94641) , and just looked to the FHC diagram (W94602) you mentioned and can now see it. That would explain why the tail lamp and brake lamps work properly on the right side, but not when the directional switch is on.
I've pulled the relay switch cover and if I manually move the relay plunger for the right side down to make contact within the relay, the right hand side directionals flash as expected. So, I'm guessing the next step would be to test whether the directional switch on the steering column is sending current when moved to the right "on" position. If so, I"ll need to replace the relay. If not, the switch or wiring between the switch and relay is the likely culprit. Sound right?
Thanks again for your assistance George

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Mon, 04/23/2012 - 17:57

Michael you have a double element blub in your tail lamps--they must do 3 functions on two elements --brake, running lamp, and turn signal-if you look on your wiring diagram (W94602) in the lower LH sector you will see a device called the direction indicator relay unit --just above and slightly right you will see the flasher unit. As you have flash to one side the flasher is good but you described a problem with the direction relay (splitter box).