I am a historian. I was trying to track the flat floor LHD 1961 E-type roadster bought by songstress Joan Baez in 1961 when she hit it big as a folk singer. The car was snatched by the Feds (along with her home in Carmel) when she refused to pay all her taxes, as she was protesting the war in Vietnam. The Feds sold the car, probably in an auction in Monterey or SF. The Jaguar Forum advised me to go to the XKE Data Base and I was momentarily excited when, working backward through the data base from 876582, the last flat floor, I found a record of a 1961 Opalescent gunmetal exterior 3.8 Jaguar E-type roadster with the chassis 876531 being sold in Carmel, CA where Joan Baez lived  but then typing that chasiss number into the internet came up with an RM auction listing a car of that number delivered March 13, 1962 in Carmel to the famous necktie producer Robert Talbot, who I also know was a Carmel resident.

So now I am back where I started but if anybody remembers back half a century or more to what the Feds sold it for, I'd like to know. Or whether the car is out and about today.

I should ask her. She still lives up there, but celebs are hard to reach...