How do I know if my wife's 1989 XJ6 has been refitted with the non self leveling brakes in the rear. What am I looking for when under the car? I thought that it was changed over from looking under the hood and seeing the line disconnected. I changed the accumulator and now the back suspension is all over the road. Any connection? What is the difference (visually) of the two suspension systems?

Submitted by triath5147@msn.com on Tue, 08/23/2005 - 09:57

First off, putting a new accumulator, (german grenade) on the car shouldn't be affecting your rear suspension. This is to store pressure for braking. If you look on the passenger fender, you will see a hydraulic valve block. The suspension line is one of the bigger lines that runs from the bottom of the valve block to the rear. Most people that convert the system over, take the bleeder out of the old rear strut, and use it to cap off the valve block. In the back, the lines attach above the strut mounting plate, which is hard to see. But you will find these bigger metal lines running to the top of each strut. If the lines are removed or disconnected than you don't have hydraulic assisted suspension. If all of these lines are connected, than your car obviously wasn't converted over.