I need to find out where the engine # for my 01 XJ8L is located as I am trying to find the right replacement motor. I've so far found out that there is a break point. Also what is the cause for the break point? Is there a way to get around it by changing sensors or sensor triggers? Please help an old reformed corvette guy figure out this problem. Thanks, Larry

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Thu, 01/30/2014 - 12:29

Edited on 2014-01-30 12:31:38
The engine number can be found on a boss, at the top of the block, at the front LH side. There are two hoops molded onto the block on each side of the thermostat housing. If you look backward through the hoop on the left side, you should see the stamped number.

As far as break point, I assume you are looking for the point where steel liners were used as opposed to the Nikasil plated cylinders of the earlier engines. I have it on pretty good authority that engine numbers LATER than 0008181043 are lined cylinders. The engine number is really a production TIME. That number above translates to 2000, Aug. 18, 10:43 hours on the 24 hour clock. So the first 2 digits are the last two of the year of manufacture. This engine number is from August, 2000, but it was produced for a vehicle somewhere in the middle of the 2001 MODEL YEAR.

Hope that helps!