Can anyone comment on the originality of this 3.8 OTS? Seller's listing agent says the numbers match the data plate, but the data plate does not appear to be original (it's not pitted, numbers are oversize, and JS suffix is missing from gearbox #). Seller does not have a JDHT certificate.

From XKE data.com I've gleaned the range of mfg. dates for the components:

Chassis #878856 Dec 62/Jan 63
Body # R3859 May 62
Engine #RA1125-9 Feb 63
Gearbox # EB14256 (JS?) Mar 64

The body number seem out of sequence, but I'm sure cars did sometimes get damaged and reworked prior to shipment. Definitely appears to be gearbox from a later car.

Submitted by bfahnest@gmail.com on Thu, 08/29/2013 - 18:01

It is time to be constructive. Is this a good car at this value? Let's say all the data is correct what is it worth? Let's say the data is not correct (mismatched numbers) what is the car worth. We can beat this dead horse, but it is still a horse and could be a good driver for someone to get involved in our sport for much less then a grade 1 or 2 car. Thanks for listening Bruce

Submitted by tferrer@gmail.com on Thu, 08/29/2013 - 14:40

If you read the add, the broker is not in possession of the car. They may not be aware of the vehicles current condition and details. Perhaps these are older pictures. I'm not saying anyone is being dis-honest. I would just make sure this car is in the condition as described and there aren't any issues. Regarding the correct (or perhaps not) center console, the aluminum dash panels in good shape are like hens teeth aren't they? Perhaps it was replaced? The paint is a question mark. Why would someone go to all the trouble to do a ground up, quality paint job (underside, floors etc) and not properly prep such obvious areas of the body? Now, with all THAT said, it appears to be very, very close to a very nice driver (based on the pics).

Better safe than sorry is my motto...

Submitted by NC19-03320J on Thu, 08/29/2013 - 12:10

Joseph, The JCNA S1 E-Type Judging Guide lists the changes that you are referring to by vin numbers when the change took place that were taking from Jaguar spare parts bulletins. This guide, and others, can be found right here on the JCNA web site under Concours and is available in printed form from the JCNA stores.
Bob

Submitted by mr.jwhey@rocke… on Thu, 08/29/2013 - 10:47

According to Haddock the later 3.8 cars had the vinyl on the dash center panel. No record when change was made, but the console front finisher was changed from aluminum to leather, and the armrest storage compartment added in Sept 63 around OTS# 879800. So it seems you are right; this car should have the turned aluminum on dash and console.

Submitted by mr.jwhey@rocke… on Thu, 08/29/2013 - 09:16

Wouldn't a flood car likely show stains on the lower interior? Seller's Ebay rating flawless, so not the type to intentionally misrepresent. But I definitely would, as you suggest, inspect before buying. Thnx.

Submitted by tferrer@gmail.com on Wed, 08/28/2013 - 22:20

My 2 cents of course but the broker sure does use quite a bit of CYA (cover your a**) language in the description. If it was me, I'd be more worried about this car being a flood car from the east coast. That appears to be a very solid Series 1 which to my thinking wouldn't require a straight Ebay auction without a BIN option.

I would definitely avail myself of the 1 week post auction inspection period to make sure you are getting what you want...

Good luck!