Submitted by bsheridan@rest… on Fri, 11/08/2013 - 10:13

Can anyone advise me what brand & type of dull Black paint to use for painting engine compartment, underside of bonnet, boot interior, wheel wells, etc. for a 1952 XK120 roadster (built May 1952). Should the steering column and entire undercarraige be painted dull Black? I am painting the Body Olde British White (Cream) as it came from the factory.

Someone told me that the engine compartment "removable side panels" are supposed to be painted gloss Black - is that correct?

Is there a list anywhere that tells which XK120 body parts are to be painted dull black per original?

Thanks,

Bob

Submitted by bob5837@roadru… on Sun, 11/10/2013 - 13:23

Thanks again Howard for the suggestions. I will check out the website you suggested. Are you located anywhere Charleston, SC? I visit there on occasion and would love to see your XK120 - it looks fantasiic.

Bob

Submitted by howardbollinge… on Sat, 11/09/2013 - 15:48

Bob, Satin black would be in between flat and gloss.

Have you gone to XKDATA.COM, to find/contact earlier 120 owners or look up winners in JCNA who have earlier 120's and try to contact them? You may have more success by being proactive contacting owners rather than waiting for answers from posters here.

When I restored my 54, I contacted several owners of 1954 JCNA champion 120's and or original cars. However, be sure you can trust that the car is truly "original".

If you want to build a JCNA winner, in my opinion, the only way to discern what is proper to do, is to copy winning cars. I would not trust casual pictures on ebay for anything!

I have reams of research and photos, but unfortunately not of, as you say, an "earlier 120.

Submitted by bob5837@roadru… on Sat, 11/09/2013 - 12:39

Thanks Howard,

"Earlier" XK120 cars (I believe the cut-off was December 1952), had a different paint scheme that used dull black paint for the engine compartment, under the bonnet, fender wells, inside the boot, etc.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know what "type" of Black I need to ask the paint store - I don't think it's Semi-Ggloss Black and I think Flat Black is TOO dull - what do I ask for???

2. Does anyone have a complete list of all the areas that are supposed to be painted Dull Black.

3. Can the following items be painted Gloss Black without point deductions?

3.1. Engine Compartment Removable Side Panels
3.2. Brake Fluid Cannister & Lid
3.3. Bonnet Hinges
3.4. Bonnet Rod
3.5. Radiator
3.6. Radiator Support Rods
3.7. Steering Column

Sample engine compartment of an early XK120 sold on eBay:

Submitted by howardbollinge… on Sat, 11/09/2013 - 11:34

Bob,
My JCNA 2000-2001 national champion 1954 XK120SE roadster (100 point car) had the the following painted thusly: exterior- Olde English White, Gloss black- steering column, engine compartment side panels, frame and undercarriage, etc. Body color- Underside of bonnet, and boot lid, interior of boot, inside of fenders, wheel wells.

I don't believe that much of anything was painted flat black.

Howard B