Need a little help here. I want to disable the security system on my XJ6 to try to solve a problem with the ignition system. I've been told by a number of folks that this is the answer, How do I go about it without causing any more problems? I don't know if pulling a fuse is the right answer but I'll pay attention . Thanks...Ed

Submitted by jclaude@bellso… on Fri, 12/22/2006 - 10:47

Several months ago I posted a similar problem with my XJ6. It would run fine then all of a sudden it wouldn't start. Then, after sitting for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour it would start just fine. This went on for weeks on end: it would start just fine, then next time, no start. I posted the problem here and it was discussed as a security issue. Then a guy from England who worked in the Jag manufacturing plant for many years said it was probably a problem with the gear shift cable which activates some sensor in the gear shift mechanism. In layman's terms, when the gear shift lever is pushed forward into "Park" it has to seat there and activate a sensor so that the ignition will work. The cable for the gear shift either stretches over time or loses its tightness for whatever reason, and that sensor doesn't get activated. The guy told me to "jamb" the gear shift lever into the park position....by jamb, he meant force it in there with a little arm power. Sure enough, its worked fine (knock on wood) for about 7 months without any problem.

He sent me a private email on this with great detail about what made the ignition fail due to this problem and he pretty much said it isn't a security system issue like several others posted here.

I hope this helps. '95 XJ6