I am almost ready to put the top on the 1954 XK120 DHC. I intend to do this myself, I have three questions:
1) Is there a kit available for the padding?
If not, can I use foam instead of the rubberized horsehair?
If so what material and density?
2) What is the correct rear window for a 1954?
the large sewed in vinyl window or the narrow Lexan window in a frame?
3) Is there a video or a good set of instructions available
for the installation?
Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Submitted by SW66-46152J on Fri, 06/28/2013 - 09:29

Edited on 2013-06-28 9:47:39

I did talk to Mike. He said he would look into converting the VHS tape to CD. But I have heard nothing since. If you send me the tape I will have it converted to CD and will return the tape and a CD. I would make a copy available to others if that is OK with SNG. I learned that there are some nice write ups on the xktx.org website. They are very helpful.

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Fri, 06/28/2013 - 07:12

David were you successful? If not you must send me your address as I would not ask them for that data--and doubt they would give it! You may have the tape but it would be great if you converted it and with SNG permission posted it here for others.

Submitted by SW66-46152J on Wed, 06/12/2013 - 19:32

I must have talked to the wrong guy at SNG. It will be great if they can provide a CD. Do they have my adress? If that doesn't happen I can use a VHS tape. I am still living in the past.

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Wed, 06/12/2013 - 17:49

David SNG called me and they will try to provide you a CD. My copy is on VHS but if they can't I will make sure you have a copy. BTW 7 thousand is much too much. My trim guy is about $2500 with all top frames, wood , etc prepared.

Submitted by SW03-09811 on Wed, 06/12/2013 - 17:27

David,
The rear DHC windows are unique in that the are slightly larger and have a shape that is different than those found on the OTS's.

Used original ones are very hard to find but the supplier in Chula Vista, CA has some reproductions that are reported to be OK except for requiring some delicate bending to give them their proper horizontal curvature.

They're currently on eBay for $329.

Good luck,
Dick

Submitted by SW66-46152J on Wed, 06/12/2013 - 15:59

I hope I can do this. My upholstery guy said the last one he did cost over $7000 in labor alone. That is part of the motivation for attempting it myself.
I contacted SNG Barret, the man I spoke to said they no longer have the video. He said they have not had one for 10 years. If you could make me a copy of yours I would gladly pay for the materials, handling and shipping.

Submitted by SW66-46152J on Wed, 06/12/2013 - 15:59

I hope I can do this. My upholstery guy said the last one he did cost over $7000 in labor alone. That is part of the motivation for attempting it myself.
I contacted SNG Barret, the man I spoke to said they no longer have the video. He said they have not had one for 10 years. If you could make me a copy of yours I would gladly pay for the materials, handling and shipping.

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Wed, 06/12/2013 - 14:50

David I salute you. With the exception of the pin beading the top on a DHC is the most SKILL job I can think of. SNG has a kit and a video of DHC and it is very helpful to a skilled trim person but that is one job that you need to be mostly artist to do. To get the top correct it should look like a FHC with cloth. No bows showing or angles. Call SNG for a copy of the tape and if they are out I will send you my copy.