Perplexed and hoping someone can shed some light on the subject. I am in the 4th month of a restoration on my XK-140. I just received my heritage certificate and next to the chassis ledger it is noted "less C-Type head. This must be true as a physical inspection has revealed that the cylinder head is not colored red nor has the letter "C" been cast in the Valley. A little light reading on the subject has led me to Philip Porter's 2nd Edition Original XK Restoration guide and his discussion of the Special Equipment Models. According to Mr. Porter, the C-Type head was standard issue on all Home Market SE models, but was an option on exported models of the SE. My car was exported and sold to its original owner in Ohio. Mr Porter goes on to say that "but in practice this was not so - a large number of SE 140's had the words"less C-Type Head" added by their entries in the Chassis ledgers." He goes on to say "the prefix A to the chassis number denoted an SE 140 (190bhp) and the prefix S an SE fitted with C-Type head (210 bhp). The question is that if I do not have a C-Type head then why do I have a chassis # starting with an S prefix and even more perplexing is why does my engine have C-Type Version Cam Covers which have been physically verified. Why not standard cam covers for a standard cylinder head. Something doesn't add up. This is a numbers matching vehicle, could this just be an enigma attributed to some sort of transition in evolution of the XK engine? Hoping for a little insight. Thanks.

Jaguar 3.4L XK 140 Special Equipment Model OTS LHD Chassis # S812197

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Sat, 09/13/2003 - 08:13

Good luck on your restoration. I have several tips for you.

First do some Heavy research- it will pay off later.

Second do not rely on Porter. For purest he is not known as a paragon of accuracy.

Third purchase a copy of the JCNA guide to XK140s from the club and see page 1.

Fourth write Jack Stamp. I can not think of anyone else I would call on XK140s.

Fifth The "C" badges on the cam covers were just a badge. I would bet the covers got them some time in the past post sale.

Sixth The factory knew the S was misleading on the chassis that is why they went to the trouble of stating "Less C head.

Seventh Does your car have the other hallmarks? Dual exhaust/ driving/fog lights? Etc?

Good luck.

George Camp