I just purchased a 1953 XK120 fhc. I live in Tampa Bay Area (very warm). I want to add air, but am unsure where to mount the compressor. Has anyone already added air to their car 53?
Also would like to add rack or power steering. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks Paul H.

Submitted by SW05-50017 on Tue, 10/08/2013 - 12:30

Paul, I also have a 120 FHC and over the past couple of years have looked into the steering upgrade possibilities.

I have found three options:

1) install a new Burman worm and nut steering box - available from Guy Broad (http://britishsportscars.com/blog/2013/03/shop-talk-installing-a-new-bur...).

2) Replace the original steering with a Jag rack & pinion set-up (e.g., from a 150). Everyone with whom I have spoken counsels against this option. At a minimum you willl need a custom radiator and a new steering column (Mark II I think) and there are problems in positioning the engine and drive line correctly.

3) Simply add an electric power steering booster from EZ Electric. They are based in the Netherlands and their U.S, distributor is Robert Hall at The Driven Man (www.TheDrivenMan.com).

If anyone has experience with Option 3 (good or bad), I would like to hear about it.

Regards,
Ron

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Fri, 10/04/2013 - 06:24

Paul while I will not go so far to say it is impossible on a 120 I will say I would not attempt it..I have added AC to a couple of XK150s and 2 MK9s and a couple of MK2s. With that in mind let me say I did it all to factory drawings and install booklets. Even with that help sourcing parts and fit are a huge task. Jaguar offered AC on the MK7.8.9 and the 150. They did not attempt it on the 120 or 140 for a simple reason--room. The 140 might have a chance as it is rack and pinion and I guess a 120 has an outside chance if a rack replaces the steering box but otherwise just no room. The compressor will have to be driven on the exhaust side as there is no place on the intake side. Same would be true of the PS pump. So now you need room for a generator, PS pump, and AC compressor in the little space at the front of the LH side of the engine. I know there are modern alternator/ PS pump combos and even electric PS racks but even so there are no Alternator/AC combos. If you were able to work that out you would then have to find a way to put a condenser(S) somewhere and all the plumbing. The evaporator would be the easiest as the rear section of the car can become an air handler with a little boxing in. Of course you could hang some sort of mini evap. under the passengers side facia but as there is little room there now I am afraid you would only be able to haul small children. After all of this "insight" the problem of power and routing of hoses would have to be addressed. On a 120 that is its own issue. So best of luck but before anyone takes your $ and says "no problem" I would make sure I saw the plan on paper with drawings. I simply see no way of doing it on your car without such major body work alteration that it would possibly gain AC as it lost its charm and value.