I would appreciate any analysis of this picture.
Thanks
http://www.classicinvest.com/1967_Jaguar_XKE_Coupe/1967_Jaguar_XKE_Coupe...

Submitted by SC38-21185J on Mon, 06/09/2008 - 08:41

Edited on 2008-06-09 8:48:34

Edited on 2008-06-09 8:45:12

Chuck:

Doesn't look too awfully bad....I'd say if that's all of the cancer you had to deal with, then you're a lucky man. At the most, I'd replace the floor pan which is not too difficult. I would leave the lower sill alone unless you can tell that its paper-thin (from rust) on the inside. I would also leave the lower bulkhead alone.

I would however be concerened with the condition of the lower frame rail that bolts to the bulkhead. This area is right below the battery, and over time, battery acid could have dripped on the frame rail, eating it out. I had to replace my left-side frame rail for this exact reason. You need to give it a very close inspection. I would also save the original lower shield as repros just don't seem to fit correctly.

If you are looking to purchase this car, this isn't a deal breaker. If you are handy, you can replace this pan yourself, otherwise I'd expect it to cost a grand to replace it.

My 2 cents.

Patrick

PS: There is some sort of circular nipple on the rear of the pan that I've not seen that before. Perhaps a drain?