The JCNA celebration of the 50th anniversary of the E-Type is being coordinated by Bryan Williams, North Central regional director, and me, Candy Williams, JCNA publicity chair.

A commemorative car badge and pin will be produced and made available to JCNA members. I am creating a press kit that can be used by affiliate clubs to help them publicize their celebrations of this milestone.

Organizers of the 2011 Challenge Championship in Columbus, Ohio, also are planning their event to mark the anniversary celebration. George Keller and Jim Baker of Jaguar Association of Central Ohio are chairing this event.

More information about JCNA's celebration will be made available at the 2010 AGM in Indianapolis March 26-27. If your club is planning special activities in conjunction with this anniversary, please contact me at allwrite2ataol.com for possible inclusion of your event in the Jaguar Journal and News Update E-Newsletter at jcna.com.

Candy Williams
JCNA Publicity Chair

Submitted by NC45-11994CJ on Mon, 07/12/2010 - 01:25

Hi Mike,
Jaguar Association of Central Ohio will host the JCNA Challenge Championship in 2011. The
event will take place in conjunction with JACO's annual show with the Arthritis Foundation. For 2011 only, the show will be a 4-day event running from July 6 to July 9, 2011. Along with the usual Concours there will there will be a rally and a slalom, as well as a chance to meet, and compete, with cars from all over the country.
To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the introduction of the E-type, work is under way to assemble as many of the early external bonnet lock E-types as possible as well as E-Types from all years.
Tentative plans call for registration, slalom and a welcome reception on Wednesday, rally on Thursday, family activity or tour on Friday and the Concours on Saturday as usual. Friday offers time to prep the cars and enjoy the Cruise-In and stage show with Saturday being the concours.
George Keller and Jim Baker at JACO are the co-chairs of the event.
Look for more details in the Jaguar Journal and our E-newsletter.

Clubs with plans to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the E-Type with other events, please send details to me at allwrite2ataol.com . I am compiling a list of special events in conjunction with the milestone that will be posted on our website.

Candy Williams
JCNA Publicity Chair

Submitted by NC45-11994CJ on Mon, 07/12/2010 - 01:23

Hi Mike,
Jaguar Association of Central Ohio will host the JCNA Challenge Championship in 2011. The
event will take place in conjunction with JACO's annual show with the Arthritis Foundation. For 2011 only, the show will be a 4-day event running from July 6 to July 9, 2011. Along with the usual Concours there will there will be a rally and a slalom, as well as a chance to meet, and compete, with cars from all over the country.
To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the introduction of the E-type, work is under way to assemble as many of the early external bonnet lock E-types as possible as well as E-Types from all years.
Tentative plans call for registration, slalom and a welcome reception on Wednesday, rally on Thursday, family activity or tour on Friday and the Concours on Saturday as usual. Friday offers time to prep the cars and enjoy the Cruise-In and stage show with Saturday being the concours.
George Keller and Jim Baker at JACO are the co-chairs of the event.
Look for more details in the Jaguar Journal and our E-newsletter.

Clubs with plans to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the E-Type with other events, please send details to me at allwrite2ataol.com . I am compiling a list of special events in conjunction with the milestone that will be posted on our website.

Candy Williams
JCNA Publicity Chair

Submitted by jamesws1@minds… on Tue, 03/30/2010 - 09:12

Hi, Candy,
I own 1961 e-type roadster chassis# 875006. It is the 6th lhd roadster produced and the 2nd oldest known to exist. I have had it for 20 years. Within the last several years I have had it repainted its original opalescent bronze and redone the interior in its original suede green ( dark medium green). The combination is of course extremely rare and is really quite stunning. The original matching numbers engine has just been rebuilt by Bill Terry.
Within the next several months, I hope to have the car finished and ready for the 50th anniversary celebration. My car is mentioned in Philip Porter's "E-type, The Definitive History" on page 214. "Over on th West coast the reaction was much the same. Bill Gaby joined Hornburg in 1954 and heads the company today. "They flew two cars in to us around the New York time, or shortly thereafter I remember the day the cars were flown in by Pan American. There was one coupe and one convertible, and both were bronze. We went out to the airport and picked up both cars. At that time we had a showroom on the corner of Wison Boulevard and Santa Monica, by the Beverley Hills Hotel, and we drove the two cars back there. As we got to the showroom, the doors were opened o drive them in and there were eight or nine cars following.. They parked their cars and came running into the showroom nd said, "ah, the new Jaguar's here" and crawled all over them. It was a very exciting car, very exciting indeed. I remember when we had the convertible on the floor, Frank Sinatra walked in one day and he said, " I want that car, I want it right now." The salesman came back and he told Mr. Honburg, "Frank Sinatra"s outside on the floor and he wants that car right now." And Mr. Hornburg says, "just tell him , he can't have the car right now, that is the only one we have and that has to go around to the dealers. So he was a little irate that he couldn't have the automobile right there and then, but he couldn't. Whether he ever bought one, I don't know. He didn't buy it from us if he did. I do think, however, that he bought one from the Palm Sprigs dealer later on.
" We used them as show cars. At the time I think we had, may be 22/23 dealers around the area. We'd send them to the dealer and they'd have them three days and then they'd go to the next dealer and the next dealer. They made the comlete rounds but shipments began to come in very slowly. The car was really taked about and it was "the" car. Every dealer had a huge back-order situation. It was really an attention-getter."

I have the September "Road and Track" that shows the bronze coupe and the convertible together and has three different pictures of my convertible.
My car has about 10 Very unusul features, that no etype made afterwards has. For instance, the number plate is the size of an xk 150 (about 1" shorter in width" and is mounted on the Firewall on the passenger side rather than down below the fuel filter glass bowl. My backup light is under the left rear bumper rather than in the center under the liscence tag.( i have the Jaguar ad showing the backup light here on another car in one of their very early ads). I know who has 875008 and his car is as normal with none of my features.
I have a note from Phillip Porter when I got my car. I have a letter that I wrote Frank Sinatra in 1993 when he gave a concert in Atlanta, and I have the program from that concert.
I have a picture I obtained from Hornburg Jaguar of the bronze coupe from the New York show on the turntable and my bronze convertible sitting on the runway of the LA airport when they were flown in to send to Hornburg.
Steve Kennedy saw my car in Atlanta in 2005 before I did any cosmetic restoration.
Dick Maury has also seen the car.
I would love to have the car present for any 50th anniversary celebration. My direct email is jamesstrickland @comcast.net.

James Strickland

Submitted by cordag@aol.com on Tue, 03/30/2010 - 09:08

Hi, James,

Nice to hear from you again. Is that the car I saw (when blue) parked in front of the Dillard House back in 2001? If it's Bronze now, it would be the perfect car to have at a 50th anniversary recreation of the New York show. So now, all we need is a Playboy model in the long gown and gloves. We're half way there!
Ginger

Submitted by jamesws1@minds… on Tue, 03/30/2010 - 09:03

Hi, Candy,
I own 1961 e-type roadster chassis# 875006. It is the 6th lhd roadster produced and the 2nd oldest known to exist. I have had it for 20 years. Within the last several years I have had it repainted its original opalescent bronze and redone the interior in its original suede green ( dark medium green). The combination is of course extremely rare and is really quite stunning. The original matching numbers engine has just been rebuilt by Bill Terry.
Within the next several months, I hope to have the car finished and ready for the 50th anniversary celebration. My car is mentioned in Philip Porter's "E-type, The Definitive History" on page 214. "Over on th West coast the reaction was much the same. Bill Gaby joined Hornburg in 1954 and heads the company today. "They flew two cars in to us around the New York time, or shortly thereafter I remember the day the cars were flown in by Pan American. There was one coupe and one convertible, and both were bronze. We went out to the airport and picked up both cars. At that time we had a showroom on the corner of Wison Boulevard and Santa Monica, by the Beverley Hills Hotel, and we drove the two cars back there. As we got to the showroom, the doors were opened o drive them in and there were eight or nine cars following.. They parked their cars and came running into the showroom nd said, "ah, the new Jaguar's here" and crawled all over them. It was a very exciting car, very exciting indeed. I remember when we had the convertible on the floor, Frank Sinatra walked in one day and he said, " I want that car, I want it right now." The salesman came back and he told Mr. Honburg, "Frank Sinatra"s outside on the floor and he wants that car right now." And Mr. Hornburg says, "just tell him , he can't have the car right now, that is the only one we have and that has to go around to the dealers. So he was a little irate that he couldn't have the automobile right there and then, but he couldn't. Whether he ever bought one, I don't know. He didn't buy it from us if he did. I do think, however, that he bought one from the Palm Sprigs dealer later on.
" We used them as show cars. At the time I think we had, may be 22/23 dealers around the area. We'd send them to the dealer and they'd have them three days and then they'd go to the next dealer and the next dealer. They made the comlete rounds but shipments began to come in very slowly. The car was really taked about and it was "the" car. Every dealer had a huge back-order situation. It was really an attention-getter."

I have the September "Road and Track" that shows the bronze coupe and the convertible together and has three different pictures of my convertible.
My car has about 10 Very unusul features, that no etype made afterwards has. For instance, the number plate is the size of an xk 150 (about 1" shorter in width" and is mounted on the Firewall on the passenger side rather than down below the fuel filter glass bowl. My backup light is under the left rear bumper rather than in the center under the liscence tag.( i have the Jaguar ad showing the backup light here on another car in one of their very early ads). I know who has 875008 and his car is as normal with none of my features.
I have a note from Phillip Porter when I got my car. I have a letter that I wrote Frank Sinatra in 1993 when he gave a concert in Atlanta, and I have the program from that concert.
I have a picture I obtained from Hornburg Jaguar of the bronze coupe from the New York show on the turntable and my bronze convertible sitting on the runway of the LA airport when they were flown in to send to Hornburg.
Steve Kennedy saw my car in Atlanta in 2005 before I did any cosmetic restoration.
Dick Maury has also seen the car.
I would love to have the car present for any 50th anniversary celebration. My direct email is jamesstrickland @comcast.net.

James Strickland