I have questions about Jaguar 420G convertibles.

Has anyone seen any of these cars (I saw one a few years ago) and I have seen photos of several 420G convertibles in various colors (black, burgundy and red).

Were these convertibles regular production Jaguars in the late 1960's

I also heard a story...

Story is that as many as ten 1969 420G saloons were converted/built by Jaguar Coventry to accomodate Queen Elizabeth when she visited Australia and other countries in warm climates under the Crown in the late 1960's and early 1970's. The story is that because the Queen did not ride in the front seat with the driver or drive herself, this large automobile with drop top was the answer in the warmer climates for top down enjoyment of the surroundings by her Majesty.

Does anyone have information that may confirm this story?

Has anyone seen any of these cars? I saw one a few years ago and heard the story...but is it true?

Do any Jaguar history buffs have any ideas on how to go about gathering additional information?

Anyone seen any stories about these cars in print? If so, where?

I have seen photos of several 420G convertibles in various colors (black, burgundy and red) which makes me think they may have been production cars.

How many were produced?

Submitted by NE40-48370 on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 19:18

One or two exist and were done by Avon I think, or one at the factory I believe.

The Queen Elizabeth story is complete tosh IMHO. She has a very good system of overseas representation and her trips are planned meticulously years in advance. In the days she went on the royal yacht Brittania (which was up to about the late 80s???) there would have been a car on board I think. There would also amost invariably have been a Rolls or Daimler in place at the relevant High Commission for use by that person and for Royal visits - not just the Queen. Prime ?ministers too.

The idea of in any way 'needing' a MkX drop top simply rings hollow and is something probably invented by the owner of one. I have nver seen a picture of Her Maj in anything of the sort. I could be wrong but really don't think so, sorry.