Hi guys,

Not really new to Jags or Brit cars in general but I've never had a saloon. I am going to look at a 240 this week. I have a couple questions.

1. Engine ID - how do you tell the difference between the 2.4, 3.4 and 3.8?

2. Engine swaps - right now there are two junk 3.8S and a MkII on CL nearby for cheap. Would the 3.8 engine be a direct drop-in for the 2.4 in the 240?

3. Along those lines, the car I am looking at is RHD. Would either of the above (3.8S or MkII) work as a donor for a LHD swap?

4. Suppliers for Ambla upholstery kits and carpet sets for the 240s? From all the pictures this car's interior looks to be in GREAT shape but I know that carpets and upholstery more than even 5-10 yers old just look worn, no matter how good of shape they are in.

5. Major watchouts? Again, I do the old-British-car thing a lot so I am well aware of the usual issues, rust, etc. I mean things maybe more specific - check x part for wear because it costs $5000 sort of thing.

6. What kind of compression numbers would you expect from the 2.4?

7. Who normally deals in parts for these cars? Oddly it seems most suppliers cut off saloon availability at the end of the '67 MkII range (Welsh), if you can find anything for XK saloons at all.

Thanks,
Darel

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Wed, 07/16/2014 - 06:12

Darel perhaps you did not see that my name is the same as the name on the tech line. I extended an invitation for you to call.

Submitted by mam.haggis@hot… on Tue, 07/15/2014 - 22:25

Edited on 2014-07-15 22:26:48
Regarding the rust, the leaf spring pockets where they are supported in the middle and anchored to the sub frame.
Pull the back seat, if you can see the springs, it's very bad.
Check where the pan-hard rod mounts on the inner rear fender well on the right side of the car.

Rocker panels where they meet the rear fender wells.

Behind the rear bumper _ the mount areas are prone to rust and that general area.

The front valence behind the front bumper and in a bit where the bottom of the grill is.
and of course look for paint bubbles around the front fender park lights.

If the car is really bad you'll find light coming through the boot area just behind the tail lights _ one side will be enclosed where the fuel pump is.

Take a magnet with you and check for bondo.

Submitted by darelmatthews@… on Tue, 07/15/2014 - 19:28

Disregard, found the info, I'm not a member yet (until I buy this 240) so tech line not an option for me. Thanks!

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Tue, 07/15/2014 - 11:33

Darel too many questions to answer on type. Call the tech line at 888-258-2524 ex #3. You may not be new to English cars but you may be to Jaguars. Not sure where you are getting your info but the "rust" issue is on point. Do you know where to look for rust Talk soon