I am installing an aftermarket radio in my 2007 XJS (Hess & Eisenhardt). I have current to the red wire and a good ground. I do not have current to the yellow wire, the wire that is supposee to have continious current. I tried to trace the yellow wire back but I found current no where back to where the wire starts going under the console. I check all the fuses I could find. Is it easier for me to run a new lead from the battery to the radio rather than continue to find the problem with the old? If so, how do I run the new lead, solder a wire somewhere to the front battery post or hook a wire to the fuse box? Help please.
John
jsalla007atgmail.com

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Sun, 06/13/2010 - 09:26

John--good work-If your car has the original antenna (Hirshmann) you can remove the cover of the motor and use the wheel to raise it--if the mono-filiment is not broken--you will find a green relay by the antenna --make sure it is working first.

Submitted by jsalla007@gmail.com on Sun, 06/13/2010 - 06:24

Edited on 2010-06-13 6:25:44

George, I found the blown fuse. I replaced it and THE RADIO IS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing that is not working is the antenna. Any thoughts? Do you know how to manually raise the antenna? I tried to do that but I did not want to force it and damage something.
Hey, in any event, thanks much for going the extra five miles in trying to help me get this thing worked out. I received your voicemail late last night. That was very kind of you. I appreciate it. John

Submitted by jsalla007@gmail.com on Sat, 06/12/2010 - 16:44

George, my battery was down so that took care of the all dark problem. Tell me more about this fibre optic thing. I want to be sure I didn't disturb it. I got the radio working by marriaging the yellow wire and red wire before they went to the radio harness. I don't know why it worked but it did. Maybe someone reversed the red and yellow. I plugged in the antenna plug into the radio unit and even hooked up the antenna wire from the unit to the antenna wire coming from the consol and the antenna is still not going up and down. Any thoughs on any of the actions I have taken? Your help is much appreciated. Is there a way to manually raise the antenna. I tried to pull it up but it required much force and I did not want to break anything. Thanks again. John 267.496.5351 cell

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Sat, 06/12/2010 - 08:43

John sorry that happened but I did say you had to remove the ski slope--that is the large wood covered panel where all the wingow switches and ash trays are. It takes a few mins. but once off you will see the fuse under the area where the ash tray on the drivers side sits.

On to the total dark---I have no idea how you could do anything in that area to cause a total electrical failure--are you sure your battery is up--could you have left something on while working and did not notice? In the area of the fuse for the radio there is a master light with fibre optic leads that feed the center radio panel but that will be obivious. That however will have no effect on the headlights or starting. Please recheck your battery and the battery connection.

Submitted by jsalla007@gmail.com on Sat, 06/12/2010 - 07:29

Edited on 2010-06-12 7:31:54

George, what is the ski slope? George I need HELP. (By the way, its a 1988 xjs.) I went looking for the fuse below the driver's side ashtray by removing the ashtry and by removing the driver's side panel. I could not find the fuse. BUT WHAT HAS HAPPENED IS EVERYTHING HAS WENT DARK: When I turn the key, nothing happens. The battery is completely charged. The headlights won't even work. Thanks. John

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Fri, 06/11/2010 - 11:48

John there is a fuse under the console--you will need to remove the ski slope and you will find it under the left ash tray or in that area--you can not get it through the ash tray however.