I was looking thru the manual of my 2007 Jaguar XJ8 and it does not seem to state clearly whether synthetic oil is necessary or recommended. However, it says 10,000 mile interval to change the oil. Should I use synthetic oil? If not, should I change it more than 10,000 miles?

Thanks,
Bob

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Fri, 01/13/2012 - 16:45

You will no doubt get many opinions regarding your situation, but here is mine. If your car is stored in an area that stays above 40 degrees F., attached garage for instance; I would tell you to go for the once a year change even with conventional oil. If it is stored where the temps fluctuate or reach below 40 degrees, I would do the twice a year change because of the possibility of condensation.

My two cents....... others will chime in.

Cheers,

Submitted by pamed76@gmail.com on Mon, 01/09/2012 - 10:13

Hi Bob,

For high performance engines I always use synthetic oil, mineral oils are a thing from the past for me.
However, changing your oil depends on some factors.
Do you drive a lot, do you drive 2 times a month, do you live in the mountains, high temperatures, low temperatures etc.
I change the oil of our XJ once a year, that is around 8000 miles.
Greetings,

Ed
1998 jaguar XJ vandenplas

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Sun, 01/08/2012 - 21:02

Jaguar never specified synthetic oil until the 5.0L direct injection engine in 2010, I wish they had. The 10,000 mile interval was a sales tool, a "Look how cheap a Jaguar is to maintain" sort of thing.

What I always tell my friends and clients is, use full synthetic oil and you are good for the 10,000 miles; if you use conventional oil, I recommend a 5,000 mile "tweener" oil change.

In my book, synthetic oil is worth every penny in additional cost.

Cheers,