Recently when driving in the rain the temperature gauge will swing wildly from it's normal setting to hot and then to cold, the engine then goes into the restricted performance mode.
My local dealer has removed moist leaves from a plenum, but the problem persists.
Has anyone out there had this experience and if so, how was it corrected ?.

thanks

Submitted by ljs5ms@prodigy.net on Mon, 01/21/2013 - 08:04

I'm new to this, my question is i just brought a used 2004 S-Type Jaguar. I want to know how do i connect my cell phone with the system thats in my car?

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Thu, 04/26/2012 - 20:29

Ah! There it is.......There's that evidence I was talking about. Those codes tell me there was a loss of coolant. I feel better now, all the pieces fit.

Glad they finally got it sorted out. Now you can get back to enjoying your Jaguar!

Cheers,

Submitted by gmaguire@sympa… on Thu, 04/26/2012 - 17:46

have just got the car back from my dealer, everything seem to be in order.

here is the correction as noted on the work order.........

checked for DTCS P0116 and P0118 both relating to ECT sensor , test wiring to sensor OK, coolant leak at upper rad hose, new partcomes complete with sensor and T/stat, replaced upper rad hose assembly.

I trust this may help another owner in the future.

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Thu, 04/26/2012 - 11:45

Edited on 2012-04-26 11:54:51

Edited on 2012-04-26 11:53:42

WOW! Silly me..........cowl plenum, that's embarrassing! Old age setting in.

That description tells me power problem. First thing I would do is lift the trunk floor and look for ANY evidence of water collecting in the spare tire well.

Also check the channel around the trunk weatherstrip and see if it is choked up with tree matter.

Thought of something else.....there should be a small loose wire harness with a white connector in the vicinity of the battery. Two small wires are there that remain after the transit battery isolation device is removed at pre-delivery inspection. Sometimes folks miss that and lay the battery right on it. Eventually they get shorted or almost shorted together and cause power problems. Dampness really aggravates that.

Good luck!

Submitted by gmaguire@sympa… on Thu, 04/26/2012 - 10:35

Guys,
Thanks for your input,
The plenum is the plastic channel which is across the car at the base of the windshield and under the hood.
The dealer reports no stored faults nor any codes recovered when diagnosing.
Rain is the trigger, the condition returns to normal after a couple of dry days.

Gerry

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Thu, 04/26/2012 - 08:53

Gee, Gerry, that's an odd one.
What other information can you provide?? You mention rain, does that seem to be a required condition for this to occur, or will it happen also when dry? Restricted Performance messages very rarely occur without leaving behind some evidence in the form of stored faults [codes].
You mention leaves in the plenum, a plenum to me is the induction [intake] manifold. Now that's a problem. Where were these leaves exactly, what are you calling the plenum?
Did they [your dealer] mention any stored faults? Could you call them and ask if they would tell you what if any codes were recorded when they were diagnosing the issue.

Gonna have to have information here.

Cheers,