Can an S-Type owner fill me in on what to expect for reliability and maintenance needs?

I have a chance to buy a pre-owned 2003 (4.2L) with 16,000 miles for $31,000.

Anything I should know? After how many miles does it begin to require engine/transmission/brake/muffler work?

Just want to know what I would be getting into?

Thanks,
Tony

Submitted by one1bmwnut@aol.com on Sun, 02/13/2005 - 22:36

I'm the owner of a 2003 S-Type R with 30,000 miles; my previous Jaguar was a 2001 S-Type 4.0 which I owned for two years and about 30,000 miles. My experience with both has been excellent. Other than some minor warranty work on both cars, they have performed as well as any of the 20+ BMWs I've owned in the last twenty years.

The '03 4.2 with 16,000 miles sounds like a sweet car. However a couple of questions come to mind.

First, are you buying the car from a Jaguar dealer, and is it a Select Edition Jag with extended warranty to six years and 100,000 miles?

If you plan on keeping the car for a number of years, this might be an excellent way to give yourself some extended peace of mind. The zero deductible warranty is considered one of the best, if not the best, in the auto industry.

Secondly, have you considered moving up to the S-Type R - superchared to 390HP? I've seen some low mileage Rs advertised in the $37,000 range.

The difference in performance to my previous 4.0 Jag is absolutely incredible.

However, with that said, I know the 4.2 models are incredible cars. I'm sure it's my BMW DNA coming to the surface that causes me to suggest moving up in power for the ultimate Jaguar experience.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with the 2003 S-Type. They are gorgeous cars with incredible presence and performance.

J. Michael Wimpy
03 S-Type R (Supercharger)
03 Honda S2000 (for sale!)
04 BMW R1200 Montauk motorcycle (for sale)
05 TRIUMPH Rocket III (the next motorcycle purchase!)