PLEASE REFER TO PREVIOUS POST ( EDITED 3/18/2013) FOR CURRENT PROBLEM. Battery charged and OK but now car won't start.

Submitted by sxzy@ymail.com on Wed, 03/20/2013 - 22:48

Hello Steven,
Sorry it's taken so long to reply. I discovered the starting problem was lack of persistance. Car hadnt been started since last Nov. Cranking it longer supplied gas & it eventualy started. The check engine symbol and restricted performance alert lit and stayed.Old gas and extended cranking could be cause so I ran it ; warmed it up; then started & ran it several more times. I planned on getting some Techron gas additive ( & more gas) anticipating that would help. Went out this A.M. ; checked battery (12.8 v) hoping that alarm issue ( which had disappeared) ,& ck engine had abated. NO SUCH LUCK. Ck engine & restricted perf. still lit ( & car runs like restricted) AND Alarm sounds off again ( when alarm screws up like that it shows no message on console) with series of five loud " CHIRPS" , intermittently. I'm going to NAPA & get some Techron stuff & maybe some fresh gas ( we have 92 octane which is all I use.
Thanks in advance for any clues you can supply. I had an alarm issue( Viper alarm) on my pickup a few years ago. Just tore the
whole thing out . Those were the good lod days.
Thanks again.
Tl Bush

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Mon, 03/18/2013 - 15:18

Edited on 2013-03-18 15:20:59

Ok, get in the car and watch the "P" on the shifter as you turn on the ignition. See if it illuminates.

If yes, move the shifter to Drive and firmly back into Park. See if it will start and report with results. If it starts, we might have an action to take. If it doesn't, report that and I'll have to ponder a bit.

If no, step on the brake and move the shifter through the gear positions one at a time and see if the other gear indicators light up. Then firmly push it back to Park and check the "P" again. If it lights, try to start; if it doesn't, report that.

Oh, tell me how you verified no fueling or ignition. We need to be SURE one or both are not being initiated.

Cheers,

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Mon, 03/18/2013 - 12:08

I still need to clarify a few things.

1. Everything seems to function, including good cranking speed, but no fueling or ignition.

2. The remote fobs work and security system arms/locks and disarms/unlocks normally.

3. The car can also be locked/armed and unlocked/disarmed by using the key in the door.

4. When you open the door, the interior lights seem to work as they should, including theater-type fade out when closing the door.

Can you answer yes to all those questions??

Submitted by tgair@earthlink.net on Mon, 03/18/2013 - 10:25

The clicking you hear is normally an indication of insufficient battery power reaching the starter, that is why the previous replies pointed to the battery, cables, and relay. I recommend you take your battery to a local parts store and ask them to test it under load. Your problem really sounds like a bad battery. They will tell you the cold cranking amps the batter current provides. Compare this to the original specification on the battery. If your battery checks out with plenty of CCA, then I would remove the starter motor and check it. Hook up battery cables directly to the starter and see if it works right. If it does, then the problem has to be in the cables and/or relays between the battery and the starter.