Hello Friends,

Once again I am suffering my only real complaint about this car. In the past I receive codes on the digital display usually to find that they don't mean anything. I have them turn off, turned off again, and I'm good for months.

Recently "Engine Failure Mode" comes on and off (shows "running lean" on the scope) but the car runs great, excepting the cruise is disabled.

Any advice is gratefully accepted.

Michael Malone

Submitted by jeffsincoski@g… on Thu, 02/13/2014 - 16:32

Michael, I am a new owner of a 2003 XJ8 and the same code just appeared on my dash, seems my brake lights are staying on after release of the pedal. Any idea where the brake switch is and how much they cost?

thanks, Jeff

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Sat, 02/08/2014 - 10:40

This is frustrating. What justification did they give you for plugs and ignition coils?? The fuel system service I'm OK with, provided it's done with good quality products and includes the injectors. Any car that's 12 years old could probably benefit.

About the only way to confirm the brake switch failure requires a scantool capable of datalogging non-OBDII PIDs. That way the switches can be monitored to see if one fails to change state when the brake pedal is depressed. Also, there should be a code P1571 logged that would confirm a brake switch issue. This also requires dealer equipment or some higher priced aftermarket scantools because some 'code readers' cannot see non-OBDII fault codes.

But frankly, if you can confirm a couple of times that the cruise stops operating with each incident of the warning message, and starts working again the next time you start the car, that would be enough for me to say the brake pedal switch needs to be changed.

Good luck!

Submitted by glastonbury@ve… on Fri, 02/07/2014 - 19:15

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I believe you're correct on the digital display, meaning what it reads as the problem. The engine light once went on with it but no longer.

In desperation I actually went to the dealer who suggested that I replace the plugs and ALL the coils, as well as a fuel system service! Though I'm rather useless with technology, that seems foolish to my as the car idles and performs flawlessly and delivers excellent MPG.

How would I check the brake pedal switch?