Hi, I'm having trouble selling my 2001 XKR Silverstone and I'm worried it could be at the wrong price.

Can anyone suggest a sensible selling price? It's in a clean condition, 102k miles, but has a few dents on the alloys. I am the second owner and it has a clean carfax.

The price guides aren't very helpful...

Thanks

Submitted by vineyardman68@… on Sat, 05/07/2011 - 13:52

Many factors come into play when selling a car--condition--year--type--going price in your area--in the field outside your area -- dealer prices--past actual selling price, not advertised asking price--most of which you'll never know and as important, personal feelings.

I have been wanting to buy an XK for some time now, so have watched the prices rather closely. You would be susprised at some of the cars I have looked at or inquired about. Some say that the vast majority of folks are honest when your dealing, be it mops or airplanes, but when it comes to cars you need a different book to work from. I have found that when the seller is honest about the car your looking at and puts everything on the table--even those little bitty things that only the private seller knows, their car are not for sale very long. Used car dealers use the other book I mentioned above.

One car listed on Ebay Motors that is the same year model of your car is listed at a "Buy it Now" price of $16000 Plus. The car looks beautiful and is said to have no dents and has 15000 or so, fewer miles then your car. From what the seller has said about the condition and their practices--no detailing etc. , it sounds close to what a private individual would have for sale. If you believe what is listed about the car, that should be a good starting point for you. Also, I would keep in mind, that if this type of car is uncommon in your area, a buyer will more likely be at a distance from you will have the expense of travel to pick up the car or, in having it shipped. Possibly allowing for this a bit would also help.

Good luck.