I have waited til mid life to buy some form of this line of car.
Have looked at 1980XJ6/32,000miles service Manual no detail items on car missing inside or out...great color, nice tires, but saw tiny amount of
antifreeze "laying" on top of trans. area ...new hose above the area...
ran hand all over the area above the liquid and not even dust came away
on my hand from up there...drove the car (anti smelled hot) fell in love
with the dream again...first time driving one ever...please anyone with
an opinion...the price is in my budget...is this a bad sign?
Also, I am new to the site and see so little regarding 1980 models...
Is that also a bad sign???
Thanx so much Kathy

Submitted by jam@ispwest.com on Tue, 04/06/2004 - 20:49

more: go to www.jag-lovers.com and Search the Archives, Register first so you can read the Posts from other owners of 1980-on XJ-6 or 12. Don't expect a completely trouble free car, new or old. You can make it reliable by finding someone who will get to know the car and fix whatever bugs come up. What color was the fluid you found ? Red is Transmission or Power Steering fluid. Green or Blue is Anti-Freeze. Brownish is engine oil if burned, gold if fresh, just like cooking oil. Mine is a 1984 and as
trouble free as you can find them, but there's always something to improve
or take care of, either that or I just love to tinker. In my experience the Parts for my XJ are less expensive than my Ford work van and there are many part suppliers, these cars used a lot of General Motors parts and even Maytag Clothes Dryer parts! (yes its true). I haven't heard a lot of
trouble from the 1980 model, but I have from the 1981, then again, not from 1982-on. It all depends on the care the car has had regardless of the year. Do you know a local mechanic in your area ? Bring him/her with you and inspect the car all over, put it on a Lift, look at the underside,
exhaust system, rear axle, etc. with a bright light. That will tell you
everything you need to know.

Submitted by jam@ispwest.com on Tue, 04/06/2004 - 20:49

more: go to www.jag-lovers.com and Search the Archives, Register first so you can read the Posts from other owners of 1980-on XJ-6 or 12. Don't expect a completely trouble free car, new or old. You can make it reliable by finding someone who will get to know the car and fix whatever bugs come up. What color was the fluid you found ? Red is Transmission or Power Steering fluid. Green or Blue is Anti-Freeze. Brownish is engine oil if burned, gold if fresh, just like cooking oil. Mine is a 1984 and as
trouble free as you can find them, but there's always something to improve
or take care of, either that or I just love to tinker. In my experience the Parts for my XJ are less expensive than my Ford work van and there are many part suppliers, these cars used a lot of General Motors parts and even Maytag Clothes Dryer parts! (yes its true). I haven't heard a lot of
trouble from the 1980 model, but I have from the 1981, then again, not from 1982-on. It all depends on the care the car has had regardless of the year. Do you know a local mechanic in your area ? Bring him/her with you and inspect the car all over, put it on a Lift, look at the underside,
exhaust system, rear axle, etc. with a bright light. That will tell you
everything you need to know.

Submitted by jam@ispwest.com on Tue, 04/06/2004 - 20:24

just buy it. anything can be repaired, the anti-freeze leaking could be anything including the water pump,
a loose hose clamp. but nothing that can't be repaired. Remember the car is 24 years old, what can you
expect ? Does it look that good ? then it probably is, (most of it at least). But never mind the mileage,
speedometers can be replaced especially in this model XJ, so don't believe it, chances are it has been
replaced or turned over. No 24 year old car survives that long with 32 thousand miles. Maybe 132
thousand is more like it. Does it smoke ? does it smell bad ? Let the car talk to you, they do. Let it tell
you its condition. They do. Cars talk.