Well, so far I'm still searching for why my vdp wont start. I have found that I have no power going to the fuel pump. I do have good fuses and relays. At this point I have noticed that the red light on top of the dash is not lit at all. Just black. I believe this may be due to the PAT system (ford) or the imobilizer fault. No dash indication from system check stating immobilizer fault. Just thinking, because every electrical component I have found has a ford lable on it , I might bring it to a ford dealer. Hummmm? I will keep you all posted.

Submitted by helicoptorman@… on Sat, 11/09/2013 - 02:20

Hello Steve, Sorry for the delay, I had tried that and no luck. So, I broke down and went to the dealer. I was advised it was only the fuel pump. I installed a unknown brand that I got from the dealer as oem. Fixed the problem.... TO ALL PLEASE NOTE: I first installed a fuel pump from a company called airtech. Bad news. it could not produce constant fuel pres. and the car kept stalling. . As a result I had to use the above mentioned dealer oem pump. Funny, it had no labels or id markings, just a sealed "jaguar" box.. I have never been able to find " bosh" . Denso is available .

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Mon, 09/23/2013 - 16:54

John,

Just for grins, key on and step on the brake, then move the shifter to drive. Now, rather gingerly, in other words, don't be coy, slap the shifter back to Park. Lock the car with the remote to arm the security system, wait several seconds and unlock and disarm. Then see if it will crank and start.

I'm curious about the possibility there is a disagreement between the shifter and the rotary switch on the side of the transmission. When that happens, I've known the system to fail to initiate fueling and leave you with a crank no start.

Worth a try.

Cheers,

Submitted by helicoptorman@… on Sun, 09/22/2013 - 23:42

Hi Steve,

I just checked the security light on the shifter. It flashes when I lock the car with the remote. It goes out when I unlock it. It stayes out when I crank the engine. Still no start.

Thanks , John

Submitted by helicoptorman@… on Sun, 09/22/2013 - 23:16

Thank You For responding Steve.

This is a 1999 xj8 VDP.

Everything works normal when I turn the key.It cranks very strong. It will not start. I checked the fuses and the relays they are fine. I removed the trim pannel for the fuel tank in the trunk. In the center of the tank (not the top) are two wires. With the key on , I found no power to those wires with a test light. Just a few weeks ago it would start or not. when it did it ran w/o a problem. now it just won't start. I replased the fuel pump with a denso. When I would turn the key I was able to hear the pump slightly. Now I don't and thats why I started to prob the fuel issue.

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Sat, 09/21/2013 - 12:54

Hi John,

You do not have a PATS LED on the dash like the later cars. You only have a 'security active' LED, which is in the shifter, just ahead of the J-Gate. It will flash when the system is armed, but won't confirm a properly programmed key. The sensor on the dash is a sunload sensor for the climate control, so it knows how hard the sun is beating down on the car.

This sort of thing is why we ALWAYS have to be sure of the model and year of the vehicle when researching information on this system or that.

Give us some details. Is this a no crank, a crank no start?? When you try to start, do the instruments all light up like you expect when the ignition comes on?? When you turn to the crank position, do the instruments say lit up?? Do you get any sound of any sort when in the crank position??

Cheers,