Need help. I disconnected the battery for a couple of days. Now the car will not start. The engine turns freely but will not start. Is there a fuel cutoff switch that I may have tripped? If so what do I do? Dennis

Submitted by dpbrowne@embar… on Thu, 01/20/2011 - 14:06

Got it running. Thank you everyone. I disconnected and reconnected the battery as Garfield suggested. I also got 6 gallons of fresh gas (car has been sitting for about 6 weeks). I put the gas pedal to the floor and after about 30 seconds the car turned over and now is running strong. The Restricted Performence light came on but as soon as the battery charged up it went off. Thanks again. Dennis

Submitted by vineyardman68@… on Sat, 01/15/2011 - 12:58

Dennis,
I don't know if this will help or not, but, in my operators mannual (05 Xj8L) there are so many things that need resetting (too many to post here) if one disconnects the btry, you may as well try this.

Disconnect the btry again, (-) lead first, then the (+) lead and let the car sit for an hour. Then making sure the key is turned off, reconnect the btry (+) lead first, then the (-) lead.

Electricals on these cars are so sensitive, this just might reset whatever turned off when you first disconnected the btry, especially if you didn't follow the (-) (+) rule.

The computer may just reset and allow the engin to start.

If that doesn't help, check your fuses. On my car there are two or three ignition fuses. One10amp fuse is listed for the front iginition, UHEGO (what ever that is) and a fuel pump and rear iginition relay coils.

Then there is a 5amp fuse listed for the iginition relay. ECM, REM, fuel pump relay and start relay.

There may be others, so it wouldn't hurt to check them all out. One or more could have blown when you reinstalled the btry.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Garfield
05/Xj8L