Have a 97 XJR with 40K miles, very good condition, bought last August. After one month of late fall storage the gas pedal/throttle cable began to stick. It got to the point that after two months of storage that you really had to "play" the pedal to get it to rev. The dealer said this was normal for Jags with superchargers - that carbon builds up of the throttle and you have to clean it off and work the throttle. My research so far has turned up nothing about that.

Today I took it out of storage, and after 5 miles it wasn't too bad. Then, the throttle just quit - no response, no acceration, nothing beyond an idle. Had to flatbed it home.

I would appreciate any information/advice from the experts. I should mention that when I test drove last summer it the gas pedal stuck a bit. The salesman gave me a line about the former owner having the pressure adjusted to require more force. Seemed like BS at the time - now I'm sure it was.

I'd really appreciate any info any of you experts may have. Is this a common problem? Will it will be easy to fix, will it be recurring?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jude

Submitted by pascal@jcna.com on Mon, 04/11/2005 - 09:26

agree... the 6 cyl cars had issues with carbon build up in the thorllte body. if you use carb cleaner, careful not to contaminate the sensor in the the throttle body.

the complete loss of throttle action would indicate a broken cable, fitting or something, did you look or try rev it up manually? forgot what the setup is on the 6 but on the V8 Rs it's easy to reach.

Pascal Gademer
South Florida Jaguar Club
72 E-type 2+2
00 XKR Coupe

Submitted by kallcomm@cac.net on Sun, 04/10/2005 - 22:32

I had a the same type of problem with my 1996 XJ6. It was gum and varnish built up on the throttle plate. Removing the air intake and a little carb cleaner took care of the problem. I had 30k on the car when it happened. The throtle linkage is spring loaded so when the plate sticks all that the gas peddle is doing is pulling against the spring. I can't think that the repair on a XJR would be that much different. Greg XJR-S