I have a 1996 XJ6 that the memory seat has stopped working. The seat will remember the last position that the seat was in when I turn the car off but It will not remember anything else. Please help me!

Submitted by rcmaury@bellso… on Wed, 09/27/2006 - 19:28

I found the information. First, here are the part numbers:
Front Raise/Lower Potentiometer JLM21117
Rear Raise/Lower " JLM21118
Fore/Aft Movement " JLM21119
Seat Recline " JLM21120

Now the settings:
Cushion Front fully raised White/Blue wire 141-188 ohms
Cushion Rear " " White/orange 141-188 "
Fore/Aft Fully rearwards white/Yellow 141-188 "
Squab recline fully forward White/red 4512-4559 ohms
The headrest, even though it is electric, does not have a rheostat.

This is from the dealer Technical bulletin # 15-50 dated 11/99 for all of the 1995-1997 sedan range VIN 720001-812255

If this does not make any sense, take it to someone to have done as shorting something out can be even more expensive. Hope this helps. I bought the rheostats over 6 years ago so have no idea how much they are now if they are even available. I can see about ordering them if you don't have a local dealer source. Not panning for business, just trying to help out, 1-800-331-2193 ext.210 Dick Maury/Coventry West

Submitted by rcmaury@bellso… on Wed, 09/27/2006 - 19:13

These are a Jaguar dealer only unless you luck out and find them somewhere. They will probably have to be special ordered. I have the service bulletin somewhere with the settings and part numbers. Be glad to pass the information along as soon as I find it.

Submitted by rcmaury@bellso… on Tue, 09/26/2006 - 08:05

The seat memory relies on gear driven rheostats to tell the ECU the postition of the seat. The early gear drives used a ball and socket type hookup which tended to slip over time. When it slipped out of range, the memory stops working. The fix is to replace the gear drive rheostats. There are 5 per seat and requires taking the whole seat out of the car and taking it apart. Not to mention that the new rheostats are over $100.00 each. Then they must be set in the neutral position. There is a Jaguar service bulletin covering this. The loss of seat memory does not effect the motor function so the seat is still adustable. Also, the newer rheostats are improved and seem to not give any trouble. I did mine 5 years ago and have not had any more trouble.