How do you replace the fuel rail (EBC9318) cross-over rubber fuel lines (2), as mine are starting to get shabby and I do not want a fire!!! I am having difficulty trying to locate the parts (NLA-no longer available): Fuel Hoses (EBC8269) and (EBC3074) Hose termination Sleeves. I would like to keep the car original with OEM parts and I guess I could replace the entire rail (EBC9318) for a few hundred dollars if I can find one, however, I would like to temporarily replace the fuel line crossovers, if feasible, until I can locate an OEM entire fuel rail.

I did not attempt to remove the crossover hoses, as I am uncertain how the hoses connect to the fuel rails, since I cannot find a detailed diagram (all diagrams show the hoses already attached to the fuel rail as an assembly). Is there a barb connector that the fuel hoses connect to and the termination sleeves are crimped on? Could I easily just cut the crossover hoses and attempt to carefully remove the termination sleeves. Replace with a cut to length generic fuel line and attach with hose clamps?

I have the several service manuals on Cdrom and a hard copy aftermarket one, however, none of my references show a procedure to just replace the crossover fuel hoses. Basically, it appears that you just replace the entire fuel rail assembly.

In closing, I would hate to have it catch fire do to me failing to replace the vital cross over fuel lines until I can locate en entire OEM fuel rail. Has anyone else successfully just replaced the crossover rubber fuel lines with hose clamps, or such.

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Thu, 08/28/2014 - 17:57

Scott,
I won't swear to it, but I believe a current hose part number can be used in place of the EBC8269. It is a length of about 18" of the stiff fabric webbed fuel hose like the original. Part number is XR817553. [Prior to that it was XR817569] I think I used that hose to replace a few injector hoses on a 5.3L XJS quite sometime back. I still have a length of it and it measures 14.1mm at it's outside diameter. You might try and measure your hoses and see if it compares. One length is not quite enough to make both hoses for the car, so two will be needed.

Those hoses tightly press on a nipple with several very sharp barbs that bite into the hoses, and make them very hard to remove. Great care has to be used removing the old hoses so the barbs are not damaged. If they are gouged a leak can result. I usually very carefully slice the hose at a very shallow angle such that the inner fabric is sliced on one side of the nipple. Then you can usually tear the hose away from the rail a bit easier.

The collar, or sleeve can be reused as long as they are not bent up. I don't think I've ever been in a spot I couldn't reuse one.

Good luck!