I am trying to troubleshoot the factory installed radio (top of line with CD trunk player). Apparently, the radio display is always on maximum intensity, whereas, when the lights are the dimmer control does not adjust the radio lights. All the dashboard lights and others work properly on the dimmer switch. Ant thoughts to what to check besides the obvious fuses?

Submitted by BillCorn4895@c… on Wed, 08/13/2014 - 00:09

Did this just recently happen? Did you recently acquire the car and it was already that way? The reason I ask is that it could have been this way for a long time. The rectangle plug at the back of the radio has about a dozen wires. They are as thin as most of the rest of the wiring behind the dash and the bundle is also not covered. On my '92 there was an additional harness in tandem about eight inches long. If the one wire in the harness that feeds the voltage from the dash lights is loose from one of the connectors, it could cause the problem. They can back out of the connector when plugged in if you are not careful. It is also possible that a previous owner may have altered the wiring to install an aftermarket radio, then swapped it back to the original before selling it. If the harness was cut and not restored properly, that could also cause the problem. If this just recently happened spontaneously, then its time to get out the wiring diagrams and a volt meter and dig in. Have you checked the connector yet? That would be the first move. Pull the radio out and check to make sure all of the wires on the harness are in the plug tight. Follow it back to see if yours has that extra set of connectors and check all of those wires on both sides of the connectors. Good Luck! And reply back with what you find.