I am a Jaguar "newbie". Just purchased a 1994 XJ12 from Bank Repo. She's a beauty, BUT, they had no key, so we had a key made by local lock smith. She will not start. Battery is good, fuel onboard, all systems go. My question: Does this model require a specific ignition key? Is there some sort of anti-theft system that might be doing it's job? Thank you.

Submitted by arsenaultd@ear… on Wed, 01/11/2006 - 12:20

How did you have this key made? The barrel keys are funny in a lot of ways, you have to have the exact right key to start the car, but the wrong key might open the doors. On my cars, the keys from the 94 XJ12 open the 95 XJS doors and vice versa, but only the right key will start the car.

You may need to go to the dealer with the VIN and proof of ownership to get a new master key made for that car.

Good luck.

Daniel Arsenault
Lakewood, CA
1994 XJ12 Morocco Red
1995 XJS 4.0 Rose Bronze

Submitted by arsenaultd@ear… on Wed, 01/11/2006 - 12:14

Deleted by Daniel on 2006-01-11 12:30:41

Deleted by Daniel on 2006-01-11 12:18:29

How did you get this key made if you had no key? Because, yes, there are two different keys for the 1994 XJ12, an ignition key and one that opens only the doors. You may need to go to the Jaguar dealer to get the proper key made, from the VIN they can look up the proper code for that car and have a duplicate made. They may want to see proof of ownership. It will be more expensive, but I bet you it will start the car.

Mmmm... and assuming its in good health, just wait til you drive it.

Daniel Arsenault
Lakewood, CA
1994 XJ12 Morocco Red
1995 XJS 4.0 Rose Bronze

Submitted by dougi@shaw.ca on Thu, 01/05/2006 - 16:02

Wayne, more info required! what do you mean by "all systems go"? Do you have spark at the plugs? Do you have fuel pressure at the injectors? What happens when you turn the key in the ignition? Do you have the gear shift lever in Park or Neutral? Post back with this info, and we'l try to help.

Doug Ingram
Victoria BC Canada
1969 E-Type OTS
1987 XJ6 VDP
2002 X-Type 3.0