Hello, I am having trouble finding the leak in my power steering system. When the car is running, and steering, there is a large stream of hydraulic fluid pouring out of the undercarriage of the car. When I crawl underneath...it is very difficult to tell where it is leaking...because of the years and years of fluid residue coating the frame. I checked out the hoses, and there are no tears or cracks, indicating to me that it must be leaking at one of the fittings.
Any help is good help.

Thanks, MooseVegas

Submitted by jdevarie@usa.com on Sun, 01/01/2006 - 17:47

Hello tom, I am going on a limb here but I hope it helps. A damaged power steering hose can be difficult to identify. The hose can be cracked but the crack would open only when a large amount of pressure builds up inside thus leaking only when the car is steered. The rack and pinion used on these cars(I assume your car has one) also has a set of seals that can get damaged and leak. This leak would be evident on the ends of the dust boots on the rack althoug it is not likely that it will emit a "large stream of fluid" as you describe.
My guess is that you have a bad hose, you may just have to find a better way to look at it in action.
Hope this helps,
regards,
Jim

Cogito ergo Zoom
It's better in a Jag.