problem is the a/c. i have retro fitted the a/c and had a drier and evaporator installed. my husband has replaced the R hand blower the L hand blower, the control panel as it was burning up and you could barely touch because it was so hot. also the fuses and all electrical look ok. now my husband thinks he is not getting elec. power to the compressor. anyone have any ideas? help? the blowers are funtioning great and the heat is phenominal BUT it is 88 degrees here today thanks

Submitted by angela.hodges@… on Thu, 09/27/2007 - 13:24

Hi Michele, I just had the same problem with hot air blowing all over the place in 90 degree weather ('91 XJ6). Unfortunately, I had to take it to the dealer but the problem turned out to be the expansion valve (and a drier) that JAM talks about. The O-rings were also shot and had to be replaced. Because of that, they said all of the freon had eventually leaked out. I authorized the expensive repairs and now the air is so cold I have to turn the dial towards the heat area to keep from freezing. Hope that is all your problem involves and can be rectified inexpensively. Keep us posted.

Submitted by zurdo_1@univis… on Tue, 06/12/2007 - 17:46

Edited on 2007-06-12 17:52:06

hi, NO cold air? zero? Can you hear the compressor clicking on/off ?

you say the evaporator was replaced? or do you mean the Condenser (located in front of the radiator). replacing the evaporator would have been a major job, requiring total dismantling of the interior and the dash! did that happen in your car?

But if it was the condenser and the dryer that were replaced, that's routine when rebuilding any a/c system.

the (center console) control panel getting too hot to touch? - never heard of that before, but sounds like a short circuit or a stuck/fried switch, maybe due to some mis-connection of wires which may or may not have anything to do with Cold Air.

You have a Delanair Mark 3 climate system, and my system is a Delanair Mark 2, (1984 XJ-6) but they are basically the same with a few differences that have nothing to do with your problem.

My educated guess is the Expansion Valve is clogged/stopped up. Years ago, (1998) I replaced the compressor, condenser, dryer, and high-pressure hose in my car, and still no cold air. An a/c technician told me to replace the Expansion Valve, (a $25.00 part), and I did. The system started working like a freezer, and has continued to work fine. (I was testing it today). I could have saved a lot of money and trouble by just replacing the Expansion valve!! You might look into that. If the Expansion Valve is stopped-up, the compressor's over-pressure switch will not let it pump, because it senses a bottleneck, in this case at the Expansion Valve.

Please note this is generic information and may or may not be the problem in your car. It is simply based on my previous eperience.
here's a picture of what it may look like in your car - it is located in the center of the firewall, engine compartment, behind the engine, usually covered in a tar-like tape. (it should be covered with the stuff).